Need help asap!!!

my mil has custody of my sils baby (due to drugs) well my sil got the babys social security number and had her bfs sister put her on her taxes but my mil was supposed to put the baby on her taxes because she has custody of her....what should\can she do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would take the custody orders and take it with her when she files her taxes. I don't know if she will still be able to claim the baby on her taxes, but she can still try. I would also get the custody papers to say that only she can file the baby on her taxes only. The only thing your SIL was thinking about was the money. Or you could also contact the IRS.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• She can still file them but when the IRS does catch it that will just make both parties show who has legal custody of the kids and who ever doesn't will owe a lot of money.
    My husbands ex wife did this with their son and my husband just showed the court order and nothing else was ever said to him about it.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• call an accountant, they'd be able to help you. If you both file the IRS will call a hearing to figure out who has custody.
    ladykyr

Answer by ladykyr at 7:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You can call the IRS and let them know what happened. They will most likely tell you to file, claim her, and then wait for a trial.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Tell MIL she can do it but do it quickly. Whoever does it first gets the money. My dd's bf used to try that crap

Answer by admckenzie at 7:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• they already filed with the baby on their taxes
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Does your MIL have legal custody? If so, then if the IRS questions it, she has legal proof.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 12, 2011