How do I explain to a 2.5 yo that she'll never see her grandpa again?

She loves him so much. She is such a grandpas little girl. I just found out that my dad died.
She talked to him 2 days ago and keeps talking about him coming over because he promissed to come see her. I dont know how to say that he is gone, she has such a bond with him, it breaks my heart for her because shes looking forward to seeing him.

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 7:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you are religious, tell her He went home to live with Jesus.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 7:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You got a nasty task ahead of you, children have a hard time understanding death, be very gentle and first tell her how he was sick and old and they couldn't fix what ailed him and he is no longer living, but ask her to always remember him and keep his memory alive forever.If you believe in heaven tell her this, good luck.

Answer by older at 7:47 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• This is so hard and I'm so sorry for your loss! I think you just do your best to explain in kid terms what it means to die. That is like going to sleep but you don't wake up. Anywhich way it goes, its going to be so hard for her to understand. Just be there for her, answer her questions as best as you can, and do the best you can do. If she can't seem to understand there are counselors who help children understand death and help them to deal with the loss.
    Jackie1081

Answer by Jackie1081 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• So Sorry for your familys loss. shes little and the simpler you keep it the better off she will take it, when I was little and loss my Grandfather my Mom told me that up in the sky above the stars is a place called Heaven, and he went there to make the stars shine every night. I could talk to Grandpa he would hear me and when I looked up at the stars he would see me and make them twinkle. I am grown and every night I still look at the stars for the sign from my Grandpa. and Jackie1081 suggestion of counceling is a good one maybe for both of you.
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 9:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I'm so sorry for your loss.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:20 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Aww...Wyattgrace....what a wonderful way your mother explained that to you...brought tears to my eyes.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• i am sorry for your loss , my kids were with me in the room when my dad passed. i was taking care of him while mom worked to pay for his meds since he had cancer. we were not looking for him to go that fast they just brought in the hospice bed that day. my kids did not realize he was gone. i told him he went home to be with the Angels. my oldest until she was 8 finally realized he was not coming back and he died when she was 4. my youngest was three , she seemed to take it in stride. even though they both talk about him to this day.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2011