Autism friendly dining

del mar california's denny's has a autism family friendly dinning area in their restaurant.  any one can eat in that section of the resturant... but the servers are 'understanding' to the behaviors associated with autism.

what are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• really , i wonder like what they do different or noit
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 7:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think with so many people suffering from autism it's good that they have a friendly environment for family dining.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I agree it sounds like a good idea, but what's different about the servers in that section versus the servers in the regular sections, aside from being "understanding". Shouldn't all servers be understanding to all guests? That's part of being a good server. I would want specific examples of what makes this section different. But I love the idea of promoting tolerance and family dining, not segregating against a family just because their child is viewed as "different". Its a great first step towards teaching acceptance of others.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• The only understanding my son need is of fellow dinners. I have never had wait staff that were mean and clueless, but we have experienced several idiotic comments from other patrons.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I agree that it's nice to have special dining options, but the waiters should be courtous to everyone! The idea kinda irritates me that they would need to be trained to handle special people. Just doesn't sound fair to me. I think special people should be socially accepted everywhere, and if someone doesnt like it, then I'm sure they have their own home the COULD have dinned in to avoid them.
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 7:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I have a 13 yo with moderate/severe autism (he has limited speech and is in special education classes) and I have taught him the social expectations for dining in a restaurant. I think it's important for children with autism to learn to behave in a way that will widen their horizons, not limit them to places that are "autism friendly" Is that easy? No, I know it's not - I've done it and it takes time. Some places like that may be helpful when parents are at their wits end one night, but I hope it's not a harbinger of things to come for all restaurants.

Answer by missanc at 7:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2011