Do you think free trade is the cause of America's financial situation?

JoyceTN

Asked by JoyceTN at 4:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I've lost two jobs because of free trade. It's the cause of some of my financial problems.
    I don't think its the cause of the U.S. problems. Greed is the problem here, Greed.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I agree Madge, greed is a horrible thing.

But it'll never go away, unfortunately >:(

Free trade is good in theory, just like a lot of other things. It's when greed and malice and selfishness get in the way that stuff fails.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Yes Ma'am caitxrawks. I wish I could get a golden parachute like the minute percentage of CEO's and the like. I wish I worked at AIG while they go on their benders in the swanky hotels and then go home and withdraw their bailout money. Wouldn't it be nice to conduct buisness as usual while the government paid your bills. *sigh*

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• While greed is definitely an issue, companies are dealing more with developing countries due to lower work wages. There is greed because these companies are only concerned with lining their own pockets while Americans suffer job loss. Thoughts?

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 5:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Greed and corruption here. Free trade just is allowed to be free therefore subject to corruption.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I agree JoyceTN -- The ultimate goal of companies has been the almighty dollar and how many of them can be squashed into the big wigs wallets. Free trade allowed for more dollars in those wallets because they pay so much less for labor overseas. I was an inventory analyst at two companies (1996 through 2005) and when my inventory moved overseas to China (at both companies) my job went with it. The reason both companies moved production? They said they could produce the same high quality medical devices for lower cost. Now both companies are having significant issues with their products because the quality is shoddy. Hmmm.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Madge,
    That's the other problem, the quality of the products being made over seas stinks. I'm sorry but I would rather pay $120. for an American made DVD player which will last me up to ten years then pay $30. for one made in China which will last a year. Replacing the DVD player every year for ten years amounts to $300. compared to the $120.00. And nothing can be fixed because you can not get the parts to fix them. My husband had to switch his job of thirty years in electronics due to this problem.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 5:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Yes, the free trade agreement has caused the USA, us, to lose many of our jobs and manufacturing which are the backbone of our economy. The products are shoddy, the cost is not so cheap and we are stuck paying or going without. An example. Most of our textile mills are gone, our glass factories. They may say ProctorSilex but they are made in China or Taiwan. Very bad thing for the American People.
    Anonymous

• I think the MAJOR problem with our financial mess was the United States' halting of converting US dollars to gold...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• "Answered at 5:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 by: JoyceTN -- Madge, That's the other problem, the quality of the products being made over seas stinks. I'm sorry but I would rather pay $120. for an American made DVD player which will last me up to ten years then pay $30. for one made in China which will last a year. Replacing the DVD player every year for ten years amounts to $300. compared to the $120.00. And nothing can be fixed because you can not get the parts to fix them. My husband had to switch his job of thirty years in electronics due to this problem."

Ah, see Joyce? That's how they get all those extra dollars to stuff in their wallets. With-hold the parts to fix the cheap product so the dumb American will just buy another one.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2008