Bible this and God that

Why is that when someone says that they have done something or ask hypothetical questions there is always someone to say, "God doesn't want us to do that?" or "The bible says this." No one lives by the bible completely but everyone wants to quote it to others. I feel that is a sorry excuse for not having a better answer.

One of my favorite bible quotes is "He without sin cast the first stone."

Queentdi

Asked by Queentdi at 8:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I like to explain the Bible Scriptures I use so as not to be the person you are referring to. I agree with you that people do use scripture as a scape goat sometimes and that is unfortunate because I feel if someone can't explain themselves or the scripture they might just be a sorry excuse because they have no answer like you said.

Actually, there are people who try to live by the Bible and don't force it on others. It is a way of life that some people choose and again, it is unfortunate that there are those that quote it without knowing what it means or what they are saying.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I just ignore the bible quotes as they don't apply to me. However, I think that a lot of people take comfort in quoting scripture. There are a lot of people who do try to use the bible as a guide to show them what they should be doing. Whether or not they actually follow it is another story though.

Even non-Christians try to use their religious beliefs as a guide.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• You say that "no one lives by the bible completely"...how do you know that? Some people really do make the effort to. This site is full of people with all different kinds of faith. Where you see someone quoting the bible as annoying, I see someone that that's perfectly fine with cheating on their husband's as annoying. If you don't like to see quotes from the bible, then maybe you should go to a non-Christian board. I'm not trying to be rude, but what you said was pretty rude.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• No, most people don't live completely by the Bible. However, *many* of us try to live as closely as we can by it's word. We're all sinners and will struggle to stick to certain things, but that's just life and all of us are just trying to do our best. I see nothing wrong with someone who wants to quote scripture in an answer, especially if it's a question asked in the "Religion & Beliefs" forum. Some of us take the Bible as the final word and believe it to be truth, therefore if giving an Bible verse is what we want to give as an answer it's in no way a "cop out" as I think you were inferring. Do I do it? Not typically unless the verse is just so relevant I have to post it. But just as Reneek3 said, where as some see things like that to be annoying...others of us think it's annoying when people are talking about things like being OK with cheating on their husbands. It's just a matter of perception.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 9:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• People who quote bible verses to questions asked are not trying to push their beliefs on you but are infact obeying God. We are to spread the word where ever possible. That doesn't mean force beliefs on others it means to spread the word and that is what we do. It is up to God to do the rest and work in that person's heart. God is our creator weather we follow him or not. The ones quoting verses are trying to help in a way they understand and it comes from the heart. When you ask a question on a public forum, you can expect all kinds of answers. Even if they are ones you don't like. A question was asked and answers are given. If you are determined to not hear the ones from servants of God than specify and usually they will not respond. Although some may still.
    godservant

Answer by godservant at 9:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I think we kinda need some guide... what better than the bibble? without it we'd seem like cavemen....I think you must be really close-minded to get annoyed by others' " bibble quotes" but i agree with you on " Nobody lives by the bibble completely" unless they were utterly crazy
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 12:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I do live my life by the Bible. It is my guide through life...I am a born again Christian, and I hide that from NO ONE. I def. live my life by the scriptures, and if I happen to fall down, guess what? I ask for forgiveness and He forgives me....
    des10ey

Answer by des10ey at 1:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• The Bible is a learning tool for Christians to help them make decisions as God would have them to do. It is a spiritual guide. When a person quotes the bible, it should be to provide guidance from their perspective, not to pass judgement.

The quote you mentioned is used to teach that we should not judge others, not that we should not discuss our beliefs so it was used entirely out of context. If you appreciate that verse, try practicing it by not placing judgement on Christians.
    Anonymous

• I only quote it when showing how messed up it is. Telling us to kill then saying not to kill. Ever noticed how it's pronounced buy-bull?? Yeah it was written /translated by man and one can only hope it was done correctly by a sane person. But since that can't be proven I choose not to live by it. There are some good points, I will give it that, but still. Oh and I can't take credit for the pronunciation thing, someone else here came up with it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• The bible was written by man but inspired by God. That is in there also. You can't pick and choose what you believe in when it comes to the Bible. There is NO excuse for not accepting Jesus. You should try praying that God reveals Himself to you; be VERY sincere when you pray this, and I PROMISE you, He will reveal Himself to you.
    Anonymous