You almost killed a baby! But it's not your fault, right??

(I don't even know where to put this one. LOL)
Local news story -- A 15 year old bought a Lazy Cake (brownie made with melatonin in them - for sleep). He was babysitting his sister's baby (around 2 yrs old), AND of course he was eating the brownie in front of the baby (naturally baby wants brownie) and this idiot breaks off about a quarter of it and gives it to baby. Baby naturally laid down and went to sleep -- AND DAMN NEAR DIED! And whose fault is it??? Of COURSE, it certainly isn't the 15 year olds fault, someone else is to blame. What a surprise.

So we are supposed to believe that this 15 year old went into a store and paid $5 for a single brownie ~~~ called Lazy Cake ~~~ WITH WARNINGS ON THE LABEL ~~~ and giant letters that say "RELAXATION BROWNIE" ~~~ (wait for it............

But it's not his fault the baby almost died cuz the clerk should have ID'd him.... whatever.

OMG What happened to common sense? Not to mention personal responsibility! And where's the freakin law??

I think the kid should be charged with a crime -- same as you or I would if they found us giving a baby large amounts of tylenol PM or something.

What do you think?

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 7:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• OMG! I learn something new every day! I never heard of the the lazy cake before. And you cant tell me that the 15 y/o didnt know- he was hoping for a buzz. Give me a break! This is why my mom is the only one I trust to watch my dau! Good grief!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• No I don't think he should be charged with anything. I'm sure he didn't know. Melatonin isn't anything like tylenol pm. There isn't even a known lethal dose, or Melatonin overdose deaths. It just don't kill you. The whole thing sounds blown out of proportion to me.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 8:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• They're both responsible. Clerk should have done their job and checked ID and the kid should have some common sense.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Just as a side note, Melatonin is one of the most least toxic "medications" you can use. Studies showing adults being given up to 1000mg daily with no ill effects.(the normal sleeping dose, and the one in this brownie was around 3mg)
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• If it were my kid the police had better know to arrest him because I'll go to prison for my kids and he'd pay one way or another for almost killing my kid???
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• where do you buy lazy brownies? i never heard of it. well the 15yr is a kid himself. he probably figured oh its such a little piece. i mean i think we are forgetting what its like to be 15yrs old. i use to babysit alot and boy if i could go back and do things differently. yet i would always call when i was unsure. i do not blame the kid. i do not blame the clerk. i believe if drugs that are dangerous and need id to be purchased she not be on a shelf for anyone to purchase it should be in the pharmacy or behind the counter like cigerettes. i am sure the kid feels very badly it was his niece or nephew remember. we are thinking at it as from adult perspectives. i give him the benefit of the doubt. i am glad the baby was ok.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Granted a toddler shouldn't be given anything because there is always the off chance of a reaction. I'm just stating what I have found through studying melatonin. I take what to some would be considered a massively high dose of up to 100mg to treat chronic insomnia and delayed sleep phase syndrome.(with Dr. Permission of course) I wouldn't purposely give it to my child, but I also think the news has a good way of causing panic where there is none.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Saying that a 15 year old can't think it through is ridiculous. I started babysitting at 12 and I would have NEVER done anything like that. Not to mention that he was either A.) trying to sleep while babysitting or B.) more likely---trying to catch a buzz. A 15 year old CAN understand that a substance may be harmful to a child. And it's not that 15 year old carry around IDs....the point is, if an ID can't be produced then certain items shouldn't be sold.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Not to be sticking up for the 15 year old ... but where was the parents. And a 15 year old isn't going to read a warning label. Sorry, but they aren't. And even if they do, they don't have the capacity to think it through.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I take melatonin every once in awhile. And it says right on the bottle "Not to be taken by individuals under the age of 16"..I'm sure that warning is on the bottle for a reason..And it is just 3mg...so if they are saying someone under 16 should not take a 3mg tablet of melatonin then I totally believe that it could harm a 2 yr old baby. Especially if it was more than 3 mg. I don't care if this kid was 15 or 40...when you take on the responsibilty of watching a baby..someone elses child... then you are completely responsible for that child. He had to have known what was in the brownie..I mean seriously? I'm sure he knows how to read, he probably gave it to the baby to see what would happen. Putting blame on the clerk is a copout. He needs to take responsibility for his actions and thank God the baby is ok.
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2011