Today on the news this is what i saw tell me what you think i was disgusted?

a man had a heart attack as he drove into emergency parking at the hospital. Nobody noticed him for about 20 min, thats not the prob, a lady flagged down a cop she saw,the cop ran into the ER for medical help and was told to call 911, they said they won't come out to help him, they have to call AMR first, well of course he died right there in front of the ER because there policy is they have to come in an ambulance or walk in. I could not believe they just let him die, didn't they take an oath so am I wrong or are they ?

peace013

Asked by peace013 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I heard this too! What happen to the oath the medical professionals take? I can not believe this even happened! I also heard that the police were doing CPR which is more than the hospital staff!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 7:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• That is a STUPID policy! He was right there! What if someone was dumped outside the doors after being victimized? Would they just stand there and tell him he would have to get up and walk in if he wanted help?
    The doctor or nurse who refused to help should be charged with gross negligence, and should have their license revoked.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 8:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• That's awful. I hate when people could have helped someone and didn't.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 8:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• He probably couldn't produce a health insurance card.
    ________________________
    And the hospital would know that HOW?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

---
    Is an insurance card requirement for entering the parking garage?
    myame

Answer by myame at 8:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would sue so fast their head would spin, how very insensitive and inflexible not to mention cruel!

Answer by older at 8:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I work in an emergency room and unfortunately, there have been many times when we have been called to help patients from the vehicle. I dont know why noone would go help that gentleman unlless they just thought it was a car accident and not a cardiac issue. If someone had a wreck outside my ER, I would immediately wonder if something was wrong with that person that caused the wreck.

For the record, ERs cannot and do not refuse treatment to anyone... Insurance or not. Even if a person owes that hospital money or doesnt have a true emergency they will not be turned away.
    mimistime

Answer by mimistime at 9:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Wow. Really? That's terrible.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

Oops. Accidentally voted that up. Phone is a little touchy.lol
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• If they sent out the team per the followup/hospital statement, that's the best they could do. I work in a hospital and asked our ER. We don't have the fast moving stretchers to bring a patient in the door. We have to call an ambulance for those. We could try a wheel chair, but it's not safe or is it very fast. We would send nursing staff and a defibulator, just like this hospital did. It's the fastest and most likely successful treatment, hence the reason airports and other places have these defibulators on hand.

Remember, the news likes to report a good story. They leave out and bend details to get your attention. It's not about insurance and lawsuits. It's often about what works best in the fastest manner with what you have on hand.
    Stacipr

Answer by Stacipr at 11:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011