What's a good age to start giving kids an allowence?

myree85

Asked by myree85 at 8:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think when they start school, and really start learning about helping around the house. my kids are really good at cleaning and putting their toys away...
    Sarah26

Answer by Sarah26 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I hin age 5 when they start kindergarden and really start learning how numbers work.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 8:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I agree 5 seems to be a good age to start introducing the concept. They typically have a genuine interest in money at this age, and start to understand a basic concept of how to save, and the value of a dollar. Being in school helps the comprehension of how an allowance works as well. Before they know a penny is significantly less then a dollar an allowance really isn't important to them.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:24 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• My now 8 year old stepdaughters loves doing chores around the house for money. Vacumm a room, she gets a quater.. vacumm all the rooms she gets two dollars... cleaning windows a dollar... she just comes to me to see what she can do.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:05 AM on Feb. 12, 2011