Does your child get or used to get a bloody nose offen?

My son is 9. Seems to have one at least once evey 1 or 2 weeks. I've never had one but my mil says she used to get them like that when she was young. Says its the cold weather. Whada you think?

bizima4

Asked by bizima4 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• yeah , my son 10 now , always gets them but in warm or hot weather
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I got them a lot when I was a kid. you can try a humidifier, hopefully that will help!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I used to get them about that often, haven't had one in a few years though. Nephew used to get them a couple times a week, during the night - it was awful. Someone told his mom to try rubbing a thin layer of vaseline in his nostrils before bed each night. She uses a q-tip to do it. He's never had another one since they started doing that - it's been a few years too. He's old enough to do the vaseline himself now though ;).
    Anonymous

• i used to get them all the time when i was younger. I never knew why, but now as an adult i rarely ever get them, like once or twice a year maybe.
    arkelly2188

Answer by arkelly2188 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yes. My 11 year old daughter use to get them in hot weather. I use to get them too when I was a kid. My doc. gave me vitamin K and the bloody noses stopped. That's how my daughter's stopped too.
    cecyh9

Answer by cecyh9 at 12:02 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• the heat of the house a humidifier might help. and or ayr gel with aloe vera you want the gel not the saline solution. i use it when i notice my nose gets dry because i am not allowed a humidifier where i live at currently

WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• are they picking their nose ? is the air dry or humid ? dry air can cause the tender membranes to crack and bleed , some nose bleeds can be caused by blood disorders check with Dr. that sounds like a bit too often.
    nanafor5

Answer by nanafor5 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Yes my oldest use to get them all the time, he still does occassionally but its not as bad. It's usually the dry air.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My son used to get about one a month, and he even could sense them coming. He was so good at it, that he rarely got a drop on his pillow! My nurse friend scared me to tell me that frequent nosebleeds can be a sign of something more serioius, so do have your MD do bloodwork at your next scheduled visit. Vaseline, humidifier--they worked for us, and an occasional spritz of saline solution before bedtime. Now at age 12, he hasn't had one in months.
    reveala

Answer by reveala at 12:19 AM on Feb. 15, 2011