How often do you buy your kid toys when it isn't a holiday or birthday? *edit*

Just curious..people think my Husband and I are nuts for buying Our Son a new toy every time We go shopping (once a week, sometimes twice). Our Son is truly perfect, though..He behaves better than most kids His age - and older! - and is just so amazing. Not only does He deserve to be spoiled, but We LOVE buying stuff for Him and can't help wanting to - He is Our One and Only, after all. Is it really so wrong?! (That's a rhetorical question, by the way. lol.) **My Husband and I aren't raising a spoiled brat. Like I said, Our Son is very well-behaved, and if We tell Him "no, you can't have that today, etc" (which has happened a handful of times, unfortunately) - He handles it well. A spoiled brat wouldn't - they would flip out and throw a fit, that's what gives them that name. My Son is nothing like that, hell - He rarely asks for anything! My Husband and I are the ones who go nuts wanting to get cool stuff for Him, so there is another fact that proves Our Son is far from a spoiled brat. And We buy Him books like crazy! My Men and I are all bookworms, and sometimes my Son prefers a book over a toy. So I am very proud of Him for that, and His amazing behavior. =]

-AJ

Asked by -AJ at 8:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I buy him a matchbox car typically when we go to the grocery store. I know grocery shopping can be incredibly boring and I enjoy that he tries to be helpful, and rarely has any meltdowns or inappropriate behavior. I also work at a children's second hand store, so I buy him things there all the time, probably at least 1 item a week if not more. Sometimes I hold on to them for holidays, sometimes I use them as rewards or "allowance" and sometimes he gets the item when I get home just because. The big items, like bikes, geo-trax sets, a new bed, those are reserved for birthday and christmas, but those two events occur in Dec. and Jan. and he gets more then enough presents the rest of the year as well.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:21 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Sometimes. Not often I usually buy him books. He loves books and I'm a firm believer you can never have too many books.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Too often. My kids are really well mannered and top notch students too. I agree with you, it is fun to buy things for your kids.

Being spoiled is really more of an attitude, than something based on purchases or material items, if you ask me.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 8:47 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Holidays and birthdays.. we go over the top on those occasions and i put alot of the toys up in their closets and get them down alllll year long.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:03 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• All the time. Probably too often. He's only 16 months, so it's not even things he asks for. It's things that I want for him, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• three times a month , or more
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• We only buy our kids toys for their birthdays and special holidays. Beyond that they earn their own money and have to wait until they save enough to buy what they want OR aunts, uncles, and grandparents buy them things.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I never do. They never play with the toys they have and I don't want more crap around the house.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• as often as possible. not as often as you though.
    lizdixson

Answer by lizdixson at 11:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Toys, not so often. Usually just birthdays and Christmas and more expensive things with tax return(like outside toys) since it's pretty much the only time of the year where we have extra money. Clothes are a different story. I love buying her clothes. I dont buy them alot, but more than the toys.

I might get her a toy or two randomly if something is on sale or clearance that I just can't pass up.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2011