doctor

I'm 38 weeks now and I love my doctor...hes been doing this for many years and speacializes in high risk pregnancies, but I'm 38 weeks now and hes not going exams on me to check for thinning and dialating and those kinds of things. I've been having a lot of back pain and cramping and he knows that..do you guys think thats ok or should I say something to him about it?

patientlyw8ing

Asked by patientlyw8ing at 4:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• um yeah you should say something. He should have checked you already at least once. If you are worried go to L&D thats the first thing they do.
    Anonymous

• My doctor wouldn't have started checking me any earlier than that, except I had some pre-term labor stuff so I needed extra monitoring. Be thankful, it's not fun to have someone poking around down there like that! He'll check you when it's necessary, don't worry!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• thats not right why didn't he check you?
    Anonymous

• That seems very odd. When I was 38 weeks my doctor was seeing me twice a week unitl delivery. You should talk to him and let him know your concern. Good luck!
    PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• my doctor checked me once a week for my last month! but my cuz is do on thanksgiving and her doctor still hasn't checked her either she even went into early labor and stopped them but never checked!
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I'm not sure why hes not checking me...his nurse always has me undress from the waist down but he never goes there...this week will be the first time hes schedueled me to come every wek rather than every 3 weeks.
    patientlyw8ing

Answer by patientlyw8ing at 5:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I was once a week when I reached 36 weeks, it all depends on how your pregnancy has been going and how your doctor does things. Some don't believe in unnecessary cervical exams. There really isn't much point in doing them too early, as you can be dilated 3cm for weeks...or you can go from 0-10 in an hour! The cramping and back pain could be entirely normal as well, but stress your concern to him if you're so worried.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• thats crazy i have went every 4weeks until i was 28 weeks then every 2wks til in 36 then every week till i delivery you need to get checked.
    Anonymous

• im going every 3 weeks til 36 weeks and then i go to every one week.. in 4 weeks
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Some medical people don't believe in checking more than necessary because every time you are checked it raises your risk of infection. If he has been doing this for a long time, I would think he knows what he is doing.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2008