My puppy hes 10 weeks eats his poop, what can i do? It disgusting andIm not sure i can take it anymore..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Pets

• I believe that usually means they are deficient in a certain nutrient. Ask your veft about it and they can give your pup a medication that will help.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• other than scolding him I doubt there's anything you can do. I don't think it will change either because its in a dog's nature. A co-worker of my dh says that she lives in the country and if she bathes her dog he will immediately roll in cow manure. Once the dog rolled in cow afterbirth!

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 9:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• That is something that I would have a difficult time dealing with. Good luck.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think some dogs just do that. It has something to do with their pack order. I would ask the vet to find out what that means.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Usually that is a sign that they have a deficentcy I would try switching his food
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• feed it pineapple, makes there poop taste gross he'll stop eating it.
    mommaclow

Answer by mommaclow at 9:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Weve tried different foods, and teh pills.. Ill try the pineapple. anything else ladies??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• There are all sorts of things you can add to the food that will supposedly make them stop. Sometimes these remedies work, most often they don't. You can google and get lists off the internet. I know many vets sell a powder product called forbid for this too, again it is iffy.

It can be a nutrient issue, so sometimes feeding a high quality kibble can help, but often again it does not make much difference.

This is a really difficult thing when you are housetraining, because if he has an accident in the crate you can't get to it before he "cleans" it up. That is when you might try the food additives.

However, if he is doing this outside in his potty area, one thing you can do is leave the poop out there, but sprinkle every one with a very hot Tabasco sauce. If the dog doesn't like the hot sauce and associates eating poop with the hot sauce it can work. Of course, it takes quite a few times for them to make that connection.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• This maens he/she is not getting enough protien.Where's the beef? Peace.....
    Mommy1234321

Answer by Mommy1234321 at 10:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• i watched a show one time and a dog was doing that. the dog was eating his regular food too fast, then later, starving, and would eat anything it could. the hand feed the dog to make it eat slower, dog got full, stopped eating poop. worth a try
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2011