How do I make sure my child is safe in her new "big girl" bed?

My daughter is 2. We are getting her a twin bed with bed rails. She does not sleep thru the night and screams for ma ma. We are scared she is going to get out of bed and come to our room every night. What do we do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can you keep her in her crib a little longer?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Get one of those gate things to put across her doorway. If she gets up, she can't get out.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would start by hanging out in her room for mmm, 10 minutes, at bed time and show her that it's ok. gradually move off her bed and closer to the door; over the course of a few months. Option 2: let her sleep with you when she gets scared and move her back to her bed after she's fallen back asleep. Option 3: Super Nanny's Back To bed Technique. Do your normal bed time routine and put her to bed. 1st out of bed: hugs and kisses and take her back to bed. 2nd out of bed say it's bed time sweetie and take her back to bed. 3rd out of bed say it's bed time sweetie and take her back to bed. 4th + time out of bed just take her back to bed, saying nothing. It still works on my nearly 4 year old.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• NannyB, we tried a gate in my daughter's room, she climbed over it within a week. LOL *sigh*
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would put a bed rail and maybe put her bed against the wall. I about to transfer my daughter into a big girl bed too.
    acruz86

Answer by acruz86 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• try a doorknob cover!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• LOL I have an anxiety disorder so hopefully everyone will understand where i'm coming from when i say this.... When my son got a twin size bed for the first month I slept on the floor right beside his bed. We had his bed positioned up against the wall but i was so scared he'd get hurt falling off the bed or something so i slept on the floor so if he fell out he'd land on me. he got use to the bed as did i and i moved out of his room. we put up a gate in his doorway to keep him in and had baby monitors in his room so that i'd wake up when i heard him playing in his room. i know i'm psycho mom.....
    kimperez06

Answer by kimperez06 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2011