How do supervised visitations work?

Like who supervises during the visits? Does it have to be an adult? Do they have to be appointed by the court? Can it be a family member?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• depends on the situation. When my ss was in foster care, the case worker supervised the visits with him and his mom. When we got full custody of him, we were given the choice on who we wanted to supervise the visits. We could have chosen my MIL, bio mom's father, her sister, any of our family or friends, but we were given the choice on who would do it. We opted to go thru a service. In order to visit with my ss, his bio mom would have had to pay $150 registration for herself, and also pay for my husband's registration as she was responsible for all visitation expnses. Then it would have been $100 an hour. They would have met at the service house and she would not have been allowed to leave with him or bring anyone else with her unless we ok'd and she would have had to pay a seperate fee for them. She never took us up on visits, we have not seen her in over 4 years now
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 9:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It can be any adult if both parties agree; otherwise there are agencies associated with the state that can be paid (like $20-40 an hour) to supervise visits. If the child is in CPS care, it may be supervised by the child's caseworker.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• As other posters have said it depends on the situation. In our case we took custody of 2 grandkids. CPS was involved. When legal guardianship was granted to us either of their bio parents could visit but the judge left it all up to our descretion. We had to say when it was okay. How long, and they were supervised by us. They were not allowed to have the children alone period. For 2 yrs we allowed them to stay overnight in our home (they both lived over 200 miles away) The kids bio-Mom cameat least once a month. When my GD began acting out every single time she visited we no longer allowed her to stay in our home. She has seen them exactly twice in 3 years. Now they are adopted and we allow the same visitation. Their Mom chose to go off to Germany and sever all relationship with the kids. She has since had a 3rd child removed.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Do the supervisers have to be an adult/over 18?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• as far as I know yes they do
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 10:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It's up to the courts...my ex was ordered to supervised visitation but my grandma was the one to supervise and he didnt object to it.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 12:02 AM on Feb. 12, 2011