Breastfeeding moms that are willing to help....

Okay ladies I need some advise!! So my son nurses about every 2 1/2 hours. He is just over 3 weeks old. I'm going to start adding in one pumping session in the AM cause I heard that your milk supply is highest in the AM. My concern is the way that I nurse him is a little different than the way that most people do. I nurse him from only one breast every time he eats. He drains my breast every time he eats and it completely satisfys him. SO my question is what would you do if you were me with the morning pumping, do I feed him off the one side then pump both breasts or do I just pump the breast he didn't eat on? Or do I just pump the breast that he ate on so it doesn't throw off his next feeding? I'm so confused with what to do!!!

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of my children ony ate from one breast at each feeding and I also pump. I feed on one side and then pump the other side and that seems to always work
    Lyndsey250

Answer by Lyndsey250 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I have fed both my babies the same way. They only ever seem to want one side at a time. It's fine, don't worry about that :)

As for pumping, if you have a one-handed pump, pump WHILE you're nursing, you'll get more that way. Your breasts are never empty and pumps only remove about 40% of the milk in your breasts anyway. If by the next time your son is hungry you don't have quite enough milk on the pumped side for him to feel full just offer the other side and it'll be fine. And yes, offer the pumped side just like you would as if you hadn't pumped at all.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Being that my opposite side is used to having 4 hours to filling itself wont pumping it in the morning throw that side off for the next feeding?
    nat1387

Comment by nat1387 (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• "Being that my opposite side is used to having 4 hours to filling itself wont pumping it in the morning throw that side off for the next feeding?"

Your body will quickly adjust. It's a supply and demand thing. The more you need, the more your body will get used to producing.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• No, it won't. Your body makes milk 24/7 even while your baby is nursing. just make a note of which side you pumped last, so that you do not wind up over producing on one side. lol you'll look funny!
    BTW- all of mine only nursed one side at a time. it is fairly new advice that you switch, and I disagree with it, because when you do they don't get enough hind milk.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• The thing is, is that my left side just seems to not want to fill back up as quick. It is so strange, I think that I need to go and get some Fenugreek!! It just seems with my left side when I empty it with pumping it takes FOREVER for it to fill back up. Anyone else had this problem?
    nat1387

Comment by nat1387 (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Whichever way you do it, it will take your body a bit of time to adjust. Right now your body is used to filling at a rate to feed your son. Just pump however you feel will work for you, and give it about 2-3 days and you should adjust. I always found the best way to pump for me was to do it a few times in a day and I always did it after a feed. Also, try pumping more often out of the side that takes longer. It might help you produce more out of that side.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I nurse similar to you. When I pump, I nurse off one side, pump the other. Its never seemed to mess up the next feeding.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:21 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• There is no "best" way; your body will quickly adjust to whatever you decide to do. IMO the easiest way is to pump while you're nursing.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I pumped with both of my babies and I did pretty much the same thing you are doing. I pumped off one breast all the time and fed baby off the other. I did this from birth and I pumped about 5 to 6 times a day. When ever baby fed I pumped off my breasts, this helped bring in my milk supply by signalling the body that baby needs more. I had to pump this much becuase I was going back to work and needed to. If you are going to be lucky enough to stay at home then you would not have to pump this often. Enough to have milk saved up for when you need someone to watch baby.

Pumping in the morning is good for you and should not interupt the reast of your feedings. You may also want to start introducing one bottle feeding in a day to get baby transitional. When you need to feed him a bottle he will take it. Some women who bf only find that baby does not except bottles when one is needed. Good luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2011