How do you combat the exhaustion?

I get very little sleep between sleeping next to a man who snores like a Harley, this little baby kicking the crap out of me(28 weeks pregnant) and our 4 year old trying to sneak into our bed all night. Once in a rare while I get a little nap during the day but that almost never happens. Each night I take a couple of Tums to battle the reflux/heartburn, slather on some Johnson & Johnson's Bedtime lotion and sometimes I even take a Tylenol PM if I'm feeling particularily achey. And even then I still don't sleep well. My mind races no matter what.

Any other suggestions?

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 10:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Go on an evening walk...or swim. Make a list of things to do during the day which you know you'll think of at night, and try to do those things so you don't have them keeping you awake. Listen to music that soothes you (for instance, I love the Ave Maria, especially the Bach Gounod version), don't go to be angry about something, spend 15 minutes before you go to bed getting something done for your baby to be (whether it's just organizing a toy area, or putting bottles into a cupboard), Spend some quality time with your 4 year old each night that's just you two, make sure you get some quality time that is just you and DH together before bed, USE EARPLUGS while you sleep. Good luck.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 10:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Classical music and meditation.
    Mommy1234321

Answer by Mommy1234321 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Hot shower + herbal tea + going to bed earlier + getting some breathe right strips for your harley = sleep.

You should also consider not eating any carbs/sweets for about 2 hours pre bedtime.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Have quiet time with your son during the day. Lay in bed with him while he watches a movie or something. When you hubby gets home from work, let him take care of dinner for your son and YOU go lay down for an hour.
    Anonymous

• empty ur mind,meditation helps,& ofcource asking somee help from family,friends would surely helps ur situation to. U needed a BREAK from ur daily routines. WE all DO, to make us a better MOM=) GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS!
    inahan

Answer by inahan at 10:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Hubby DOES use breathe right strips. lol It brings him from a 10 to a 7 on the volume scale. lol

Thanks for the suggestions. I suck at asking for help but I'll give it a whirl! ;-)
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You can get this music as a free podcast. It is called Enhanced Healing. It is a bit space agey, but it is really relaxing and whenever I use it I fall asleep fast and deep- apparently the music brings on certain brainwaves of relaxation. You can google enhanced healing, or try this feed://www.enhancedhealing.com/podcast/5minepisodes.xml or maybe find it through iTunes. Good luck!!
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• i use melatonin........you can get them at the pharmacy over the counter.........i have insomnia and chaos filled days with the kids lol!! so i need a lil something more than once a week and it doesnt give you that medication hang over the next day...
    Lovelylis

Answer by Lovelylis at 12:41 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• talk to your doc or midwife about ambein. I am a very light sleeper, in my last trimester they prescribe me ambien so that every once in a while I can have a full night sleep.

other then that... I drink alot of coffee.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:00 AM on Feb. 12, 2011