I know that there is a certain amount of alcohol you can drink and still nurse

If I have two drinks right after I nurse my Son will I be okay to nurse him about 2 1/2 hours later? I know that your body will metabolize a certain amount...Or should I just pump and dump it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I suggest pump and dump. If you wouldn't put the alcohol in his bottle, then don't let him drink it from your boob. Just my opinion.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 10:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Look this up on Kellymom.com They have an article about it. I posted about this in a group I am in and it turned into a huge drama post, so I say read the good info and make your own decision.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• There is no need to "pump and dump" alcohol metabolizes out of your breastmilk at about the same rate as it metabolizes out of your blood, once it's out of your system it's out of your milk supply.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• After taking a psychopharm class and other drug/alcohol related questions, I wouldn't drink while I was breastfeeding. It takes 1 hour for an ounce of alcohol to leave your system. That is just me. Talk to your DOCTOR about what would or wouldn't be safe, NOT people on a website.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It depends onwhat your drinking.A glass of wine o.k. any further I would Pump and Dump. Peace......
    Mommy1234321

Answer by Mommy1234321 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• you don't NEED to drink anything while you're nursing...if you're questioning it, then obviously it's not the ideal thing to do :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• well drink as much as you want and see what happens......
    Anonymous

Wow! Seriously! Someone has issues.....Honestly feel sorry for you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• alcohol metabolizes out of breastmilk at the same rate as blood. So the rule of thumb is safe to drive, safe to nurse. You can buy strips online that you can use to test. But IMO, I can nurse, have a beer or two, and nurse in 2-3 hours.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:11 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• if your questioning it then why risk it? I personally would NEVER take the risk.
    Granolamama3795

Answer by Granolamama3795 at 8:08 AM on Feb. 12, 2011