If my husband promised to get therapy 2 weeks ago to save our marriage cont.

but still has not made an appt, what should happen now? He's a habitual liar and I feel like he just lied about getting therapy to keep me around. I can't act like the loving wife when I just feel bamboozled AGAIN!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• Can you schedule the appointment?? If you schedule it and he doesn't go it would be hard to take him seriously. Seems like he's just saying whatever it takes to string you along.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• he just said it just so you will be satisfied and leave it alone. next time it comes up he may say he will schedule it again and "didnt find the time" or something, he may just be nervous or not willing but it isnt lieing if he didnt do it...it'd be lieing if you made the appointment and he said he'd go and he didnt.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Give him an ultimatum with a deadline or you'll leave. If he still doesn't do it then you know he doesn't want to work on things

Answer by admckenzie at 11:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My husband was this way. Every time I would threaten to leave him he would promise to get therapy. He never did it until I actually left. Then only stayed with it till he had me back. He has been a lot better since though. But he always did it to keep me from leaving. He would only tell me what I would want to hear till I had enough. I say, if you can make the appointment, make it. Then if you have the time, drive him to it. Make sure if he wants you to stay he has to be willing to make things work.
    LeslieNBreaux

Answer by LeslieNBreaux at 11:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I say the same, give him an ultimatum if you don't go this is what's going to happen. But, you don't want to just blow off steam, "say what you mean, mean what you say, just don't say it mean. "
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Been there! Was there not too long ago actually. He'd say he made an appointment (numerous times!) only to find out it was BS. Was getting strung along, fed up, so started packing my bags and reserved airline tickets. Needless to say, it took me going that far to wake his ass up and get him doing the things he said he was going to do. Sometimes you have to carry through with your threat because they're not as stupid as we might think, they try to see what they can get away with. Make sure you get proof that he attended the appointment if he says he went too. Gosh the things some of us women have to go through! It's crazy!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:03 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• My ex-husband did the same thing. He was adamant he would not do counseling and when I finally had enough sh*t I said I want a divorce because I can't feel this way forever and just me being in therapy isn't helping US. He said he would go. I sent him materials, gave him online links to look at, said tell me when to make the appt. He NEVER looked at anything. I asked a week later, no answer. I asked another week later, no answer. I waited 3 more weeks and finally said you have no intention of doing this and I'm done.

Figure out how much you're willing to put up with to get where you want to be I guess. If you're not getting what you need (for you both too, for that matter), then decide when enough is enough and what you will need to do to move on.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:29 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Ya know men lie so much, most of them never needed to get married in the first place. Like the other ladies said give him a choice and a dead line if he doesn't comply it's time to go and stick to it.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• i agree with the dusty1962
    tanper29

Answer by tanper29 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2011