Boss on my butt

I work atLensCrafters and we have 3 numbers to meet, gross sales, mulitiples, and something called the eyewear protection plan. I am number one in everything except for im $20 short on my sales that one other person, which makes me number 2 in sales, and i also run the doctors side sometimes with the other lady, no one else does that. So i have more responsibility. My boss pulls me aside today and was talking about how i really need to bring my sales up and he knows i can do better, and if i want more hours i gotta bring that number up. What in the world man?? Does anyone understand this of know of a suttle way i can tell him how i feel?

arkelly2188

Asked by arkelly2188 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• Sadly, this is a managing strategy where you punish failure rather than acknowledge success. It's an excuse to keep from rewarding you that's used in most retail these days. How do I know this? It's in my brother's business school textbooks! They TEACH THIS! My first advice would be to put it back on the manager. State that you do this extra work, i.e. the doctors, and that it's cutting into your sales time. Maybe if someone else helped with that, you could bring your sales up. This removes his/her ability to put this blame on you and might get some changes made. Might not. If not, look for another job as that's about the only way to escape these types of managers.
    Stacipr

Answer by Stacipr at 11:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Just convinced me to not go to LensCrafters...LOL I never realized it was a sales based job - that takes away from customer service. And what an ass he is..... what is your bosses job ... is it possibly his job to fill in the gaps on the doctor's side of things..... and it's something that he's putting off on you (or just letting you do because it makes his life easier)? I would have to put this right back in his lap - "I just want you to know that I take my sales very seriously and I feel it's necessary that I let you know that *You're gonna have to find another way to cover the doctor's side when there's a short fall. I need to focus on my sales so I'm sorry, but you'll have to do without my help in other areas until I reach my sales goal".
    I hate that kind of management - makes ya just wanna spit from the bad taste it takes to treat people like he's treating you.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Can you ask him what suggestions he would offer to help you meet this sales production goal. go at it as positively as possible. Do not try to blame or make excuses. Decide you can do it and go after it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Its not completely a sales based job. The number one concern is customer satsifaction but we are have to have so much sales per person, kinda like an adverage. But yea, anywhere you buy something, its sales based. We dont really get much money from it. And thanks guys for all of the advice. Im def gonna have a chat with him
    arkelly2188

Comment by arkelly2188 (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Do you love your job?? Sounds like you have enough drive and passion to put your mind into something that you benifit directly from your efforts! Look about you would be suprised at what is out there that match income with effort, without the nagging boss attached!

Cheers
    Rebecca
    www.forget925.com
    RebeccaLewis

Answer by RebeccaLewis at 8:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2011