Want to set up a schedule

I want to start teaching my 2yr old DD her colors and shapes, ABC's, etc more structually. I got laid off so I have the time to do it. She's a very smart girl and I want to take advantage of that while I can. Any good tips on how to do this? Or tools to use? She's my first and only so I've never done this before.

MommyLee08

Asked by MommyLee08 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am a SAHM (with no plans of home schooling) but I found it very easy to teach my dd about all the things you mentioned. I think the key is to keep it fun. I would not do too much structure this young- then it might feel pressured to her. But if she is the only child right now- every minute is an opportunity- talk to her all about what color everything is, play with things and talk about shapes. Sing the ABC song and look at letters together. My dh got some letter flash cards at Target for 1$ and my dd loved going over them with him and me. We did it during potty times, so she was learning letters while potty training. It was all fun to her though. We always talk about everything we see- birds, planes, flowers, trucks. Read lots of books. Basically take the time to just play and talk to her and she will learn fast!! Have fun!!
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• http://www.first-school.ws/themes.html
    Check out this site for some fun aides to use. It has helped me a lot.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• We never did anything structurally. My son is 28 months and knows at least 8 colors, 9 shapes, both upper and lowercase ABC, and numbers up to 15. Kids learn best through play, so whatever we were playing with I made sure to comment (yes, that's the blue block; no, that's a circle it goes in the circle shape, etc). When we went for a walk, we looked at the street signs and the letters on them, or at the grocery store we looked at the colors of the fruits and veggies. Kids are little sponges and learn so much just from the world around them without sitting down to flashcards or workbooks so young! Songs are also great ways to teach information (although you want to make sure that they learn the letters by sight in addition to learning the song)

Answer by missanc at 8:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• maybe get some tips on line
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 12, 2011