Has anyone ever been prescribed "Tamiflu" while pregnant for the Flu or as a preventitive to the Flu?

My DS developed a very severe case of the flu yesterday that resulted in 105 fever that shot up very quickly causing a seizure so he had to go to the hospital in an ambulance.

The doctor gave him Tamiflu but they also gave DH, DD and me a 10 day version to help prevent us from getting it. My issue is that DH and I are TTC after a miscarriage at the beginning of January. I ovulated a couple of days ago so there is a possibility that I'm pregnant (HOPEFULLY!!!!) but the pharmacist said there are no studies showing whether Tamiflu is or is not safe in pregnant women.

He did say that generally physicians prescribe it because they feel the risks of the Tamiflu are lower than the risks of flu on a developing baby and the pregnant women since the amune system is low.

I'm just worried...My HCP knows that I lost the baby but I only talked to my midwife about TTC again, not my general practice doctor, and I forgot to mention it.

Has anyone been given Tamiflu during pregnancy? How far along were you when they gave it to you? Was you baby okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am not pregnant but I work in a pharmacy and they have given this to pregnant woman before as a preventative. The most important thing is to check with the prescribing physical. here is an article I found from last year but the same guidelines apply. http://www.babychums.com/2009/05/swine-flu-drug-tamiflu-urged-for-pregnant-women/
    caseyd26

Answer by caseyd26 at 11:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Thanks...how scary...I'm guess I'm going to go ahead and take it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Im 37 weeks and 3 days i was just in the hosp sun morning threw tue afternoon with the flu and they gave me tamiflu and my son is just fine and they med made me feel so much better.
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 12, 2011