My son is refusing to be breastfed, what could it be?

My son is 2 1/2 months old, I use a shield because I cant get him to latch on. The last week he has been refusing to eat off me. I haven't changed or taken any different medications, and I wash the guard in either boiling water or steam it clean but don't use soap on it. I did change body washes though and read that could be a problem, not recognizing my scent??? What I normally do is feed him on one side for 10 minutes and than burp and change his diaper and than put him on the other side and let him eat as long as he wants. Well its hard to even get him to want to eat and when I finally do he only eats for 7-9 minutes and than is done and if I try to put him back on the other side after I change his diaper he cries. I don't want to stop breastfeeding him I would love help though so please any advice will help!!!

BabyMJSMom

Asked by BabyMJSMom at 12:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe it is the body wash. Maybe rub some breastmilk on you first prior to feeding. 7-9 seems ok. Maybe he just is not hungry...it will change at the next growth spurt. Or possibly he is not latching on correctly or maybe he needs to be burped more. I would burp my kids 2-3 times and then feed again. Rub his back as his head is slightly over your shoulder and rub his back in a circle a few time and then cup your hand slightly and pat his back until he gives you a couple good burps. See if he is ready to nurse again after that...if not then maybe he just does not need it right now. Just keep doing what you are doing. Don't give up. If you are concerned call your childs nurse or ask a lactation specialist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Have you tried not using the shield? My son needed the shield until he was about 1.5 months old. By then he was able to nurse well on his own and he no longer needed it.

Also, as babies get older, they become far more efficient at nursing, and sometimes more distracted.

If you are still concerned that he's not getting enough, contact your local lactation consultant. I found the ones near me to be quite helpful.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• First are you supplementing with formula or pumped milk in a bottle at all? And when you say he doesn't want to eat is it that he just doesn't seem interested, or he gets hungry but refuses to latch?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:14 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Body scents is very important to a baby. Your smell tells him he is safe. So you may want to change back to your other body wash. Also, have you tried getting him to latch on without the guard lately? If you are feeding him at all with a bottle he may becoming confused. If the only reason you are using the guard is bcuz you baby wouldn't latch then you can try this:

When I had trouble with latching I would squeeze my breasts until milk started coming out and then I would attach baby. He would taste the milk right away and start sucking. Within a few days baby would have the breastfeeding down and I would no longer have to do this everytime.

Good luck, i hope this helps!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Thank you everyone all your thoughts helped. I just feed him breast milk no formula, and I've tried several attempts at not using the shield, he gets very frustrated though and than just cries and cries. I'm not giving up on it though I still try not to use it. I changed back to my old body wash and he has latched on without a fight and will eat off both sides once again. Thank you
    BabyMJSMom

Comment by BabyMJSMom (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2011