What is the importance of pre-natal vitamins?

I am in the last couple of weeks of my pregnancy, and one of my friends got very upset when she found out that I stopped taking my prenatal vitamins. I really thought that they were for the first two trimesters of pregnancy, and, after that, they were optional. Since my pregnancy has been so healthy, I stopped taking them in my 7th month.

Am I alone in quitting the vitamins? I never took vitamins before my pregnancy and don't feel a personal need to supplement my diet since I eat a variety of foods and make sure to eat in a healthy manner.

Should I give in to my friend's concerns or continue the way I was? I haven't brought this up to my doctor and don't have another appointment until next Friday.

htroy2010

Asked by htroy2010 at 1:18 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Health

• The vitamins are for you and for bay. Certain birth defects can occur without them.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:22 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• During pregnancy the baby uses alot of your own nutrients and the prenatal vitamins replenish them to keep you and baby healthy. Obviously is a choice to not take them but it's discouraged.

http://www.babiesonline.com/articles/health/importanceofprenatals.asp

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:22 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Like Luv said, prenatal vitamins ensure that there are enough vitamins to go around, and ensure that there are enough of some of the less common vitamins available for fetal development. A lack of folic acid has been linked with birth defects wherein the spinal cord does not fully develop or is mishapen. That's why there is a such a huge public push to ensure women of child-bearing age get enough folic acid in their diets before they get pregnant as well as throughout. But other minerals and vitamins, like calcium, that your body has, is being used by the baby. The baby will get what it needs, and your body will give it up. To ensure that your body will be able to recover better, prenatal vitamins are equally important in the latter stages of pregnancy as well as after pregnancy.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Its also a real idea to take them with iron in them if u r breast feeding. Certain docs still like to think that babies will become anemic if all they are having is breast milk. pre-natels with added iron is a good thing u for u anyway, especially if u go thru labor instead of a c-section.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:31 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• You do realize that your vitamins and nutrients are not just going to one person right?
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:39 AM on Feb. 15, 2011