I am pregnant with a toddler, lol Need i say more?

Okay, so I am pregnant with my second little boy, Elijah, but I have a 2 year old little boy, Zachary. He was such a sweet bundle until he turned 2 last month. Now he's throwing these HORRID tantrums where hes always hitting and kicking, and no matter how much corner time he does, its almost like hes getting worse. Lately the kicking has also gotten out of control with me being 5 months pregnant there have been times where when I try to get him under control he has hit or kicked at me around my stomach area and that concerns me kinda for the safety of his little brother. Can I get any advice on maybe how to calm the tantrums down or even just some tips to try, I'm really open to everyones opinions.

AmberLeTTeBxtcH

Asked by AmberLeTTeBxtcH at 1:51 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree if time outs or corner time seem to be making the situation worse then ignore the behavior if at home. Walk away and start doing something your son typically finds fun. When my son was just turning 2 I would go into the living room, get his cars, and start making loud car noises and acting like I was having all the fun in the world. Of course his curiosity got the best of him and he'd come out quiet, wondering what I was doing and wanting to play. Since he was calm at this time I'd take the opportunity to discuss the meltdown, how that wasn't appropriate behavior and if he wanted to play with mommy he needed to act like a big boy. As he got older, about 2.5, the time outs became much more effective then ignoring, but before 2.5 ignoring was the key to diffusing the situation. It's also safer for you, so you're not being kicked in the stomach, and still gives him his space to calm down and become rational.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:06 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I was pregnant with a two year old... The best thing to do is walk away from a tantrum... go do something else. The "show" (tantrum) stops when you don't act like you care or react with verbal communication.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• In addition to what the other ladies have said, Iwilladd that you need to "catch" him being good. Kids REALLY respond to praise. Whenever he does something good make a huge deal out of it. Pretty soon he will be doing things all the time to get your approval. Also don't overuse time-out. Too much of it and kids will no longer respond to it. Use it only when you hve warned him already and he's being truly disobedient.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:18 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• you need to be very stern with him. put him in time outs immediately when he acts up, especially when he hits. get down to his eye level and talk to him with authority. it's the typical terrible 2s. he's testing his boundaries to see how much he can get away with. draw the line now or you'll be kicking yourself in the butt later. i'm sure he's a sweetheart. remind him that he's a good boy, & he shouldn't be doing bad things. good luck & congratulations on #2!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:58 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Time outs worked with some of my kids for tempers, with the others, the only thing that worked was ignoring them completely till their attitude changed.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:28 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I'm pregnant with a 2 1/2 year old. The only thing that works for me, is having a job. My doctor wants me to quit and be on bedrest since I am high-risk, but if I were at home with my DD all day, I would stress more. Luckily I just sit at a desk all day.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:24 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• oh terrible twos!!! i agree walk away if u can
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 12, 2011