I'm just grossed out!

I'm so embarrassed to post this, but I'm at my wits end! The apts I live in were pretty nice when I first moved in. That was 5 yrs ago...since then the place is falling apart. I have roaches..I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of them...I'm at a point where I don't even cook any longer because of them. Tonight I saw this freakin rat under my cabinet...prior to the rat incident I had called the health dept and I swear they said they would do nothing unless they had my name! ( I would certainly be told to move)Right now I can't afford to move, but I can't stand this. The manager offered me 10 dollars off my rent if I would write a nice review about the place. I said "HELL NO" I'm trying to save up to move out, but it is hard to do. Sorry venting and disgusted. Thanks for listening and seriously if you have any advice plz offer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Call the Health Dept and give you're name; What's the big deal, it's your Landlord who will be introuble NOT YOU. Confront your landlord and say If you don't hire monthly Exterminations I'm reporting you! In my condo complex they do bi weekly sprays in EVERYONEs place if you have an issue with bugs or not.
    Jersey_class

Answer by Jersey_class at 9:39 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I'd say if you are getting a tax refund this year, use that $ to move. I wouldn't live in a place like that. I would call the health dept up anyways and give them my name. It is illegal to pay rent to someone that is making you live in unlivable conditions. The health dept would have that pace condemned in a heartbeat. Another thing, you should contact your local news channels and let them have a feature story about it. Trust me, publicity like that is a landlord's worst nightmare.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:33 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I k now how you are feeling. Can you get a cat? I had a mouse problem and tried all sorts of things to get rid of thm but we live on a corner lot across from a field and apparently had a mousie Motel6 sign somewhere cuz they all came to stay. We finally got 2 cats and after a week of totally grossing out with them having a field day, the mice are all gone! As for the roaches, we never had them at all until we got cable and the Verizon guy brought us a DVR that was infested with them. We have been using Raid Max in a big bottle with a battery operated trigger, is was $1 at Walmart and it seems to have gotten rid of them. We had to use is almost daily for about a month tho. Good luck, try to move if you can but if not, hope I could help
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 6:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Talk to your neighbors. You need to all work together. Clean up all open food, dirty floors and counters, dishes. Put rows of Boric Acid around the perimeter of your apartments. Get sticky traps for the rats. Seal up all openings where rats or mice might come through. If you and your neighbors consistently keep things clean and take action you can overcome this problem. When new people move in often the roaches come with them.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• When you move, it is likely that you will take the roaches with you. If you do you can infect your new neighbors. You have to get rid of them. It is not easy but it can be accomplished.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:38 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I am not sure what to tell you. Good luck!
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:00 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I am so sorry, what a situation to be in!! If you keep all of your food in containers, and make sure everything is swept up/cleaned, it may help at least keep the rats away. As for the roaches; you can't get them under control unless all the units are treated at the same time.

I would call the health department. You have certain rights - you may be able to get temporary housing until the landlord addresses the problems. (Or even aid to move). Rats and roaches are unsafe to live with; you shouldn't have to live like that.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:42 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I with Jersey....Call the health department and give them your name along with your complaint. It is up to your landlord to keep your apartment complex bug and rodent free. And IT MAY NOT BE YOU!!! You are doing everything you can.......but if your neighbors aren't, then the bugs will get in!!
    I know when we rented apartments, they came in once a month and sprayed for bugs and if we called, they were there in no more than a day to spray again. And the one time we had a mouse - because they were clearing nearby to build a new housing development - I was given no less than a dozen sticky traps to help trap the mouse.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:24 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• a cat wont help
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Tell your name and help the next renter plus the ones that's having problem now.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2011