Problems With My New Puppy!

Ok, so for an early valentines day present, my mother got me a little redbone hound puppy that I've named Nikki. She's six weeks old and is just adorable with her long ears and her big brown eyes. I'm just having a problem making her understand why my collie Maggie gets to break the rules but she doesn't. For instance, Maggie is allowed on the couch but she only gets up there when I invite her. Maggie also sleeps in my bed and is allowed in the stall with the horses, though that one is more for Nikki's safety because she gets stepped on to easily. Maggie also gets to run around outside by herself and Nikki is only allowed outside with me. Nikki doesn't understand that Maggie is almost six years old and she is well trained enough to know when it is ok to break the rules. Does anyone know how I can get this point across to the puppy without denying Maggie the privileges that she has rightly earned?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 4:10 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Pets

• You failed to say how old the puppy is.

Like any dog, you are going to have to train her. If she cannot be with the horses, then keep her in a crate when you are out there. You should also not invite Maggie to cuddle on the couch until Nikki has learned the "rules" of the home and understand how the house hold flows. While you cannot sit and explain how things work to the puppy obviously, you can help to eliminate issues before they arise that will make the adjustment period easier on everyone.

So yes, I am suggesting you stop some special treatment with Maggie until the new one can get adjusted and trained.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:24 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• She's seven weeks. She's allowed with the horses but she just doesn't have the sense to keep out from under their feet yet. I guess I'm going to have to let her get stepped on once or twice. That's how Maggie learned. Willow stepped on her and she learned not to walk under their feet and she made the mistake of getting behind Sparks and she kicked her. I'm trying to keep the puppy from getting hurt but she has no sense when it comes to the horses. She also keeps getting attacked by the cat.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 4:41 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• OMG such problems.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• That is a hard situation to control. Basically the puppy is going to follow the older dog and want to do what the other dog does. All you can do is be there and supervise the puppy so she won't get hurt. As for getting up on the couch, if one dog is allowed it is unfair to not expect the puppy to want the same treatment. I think this is confusing to the puppy,sending mix messages. Either the dogs are allowed on the coach, or not. Learning and training is all part of the puppy process,and this will just take some time. Hopefully the puppy will catch on soon. Good Luck
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 12:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• as far as the couch, maybe when she's older. Maggie is only allowed when I let her. Sometimes I feel like fourlegged company when I'm reading or watching tv. Sometimes my child calls her up there when she's sitting on the couch. As far as the bed, I had night terrors as a child and the doctor told my mother to let the dog sleep in my bed. Our sheltie had been strictly trained against getting in the bed and my mother's cockapoo slept with her so my mother got me a puppy. I got so used to having another warm body next to me when I slept that, when that puppy died ten years later, I had a hard time sleeping until I starting letting my other dog in the bed. My mother keeps telling me that only little dogs should be allowed in the bed. Maggie disagrees. Maybe I should let the puppy in the bed with me. I've got no husband. Why not fill the bed with dogs?
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Yes, I have raised dogs like this too. I have had older good dogs who break the rules and puppies do not.

Coon hounds are beautiful dogs, but they can be pretty thick when they want to. That means you just need to be persistent and give the puppy a lot of repetitions and consistency.

It is okay if Maggie gets to go forward and you push the puppy back, in time puppy will learn. AND you are doing the RIGHT thing because you are ultimately teaching your puppy to have a strong bond to you, which will train her to take direction from you, not just the other dog. That will be useful later in life. Too many people get a second dog and leave it to run wild with the other dog(s).

It is good that you set the boundaries for the puppy and she will learn, you will have her under control, and eventually she will be good enough to handle all the things that Maggie can do.

And puppy can sleep with you later on, when she follows rules!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• She did say how old the pup is in her question, but then it was a week older later. lol Your doing the right thing. Keep doing what your doing and make sure pup gets lots of attention. I hope you know what your in for with a hound in the house. lol good luck
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 10:32 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Ditto spottedpony's post.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 11:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• @ Diana - Well, I didn't see it. I don't read every single word in a statement, but AP english taught me to speed read, aka just read every few words.

Either way, it's really a moot point. This little puppy until it gets much older is not going to understand the situation on the home front, so I have to agree that the OP is going to need to make some changes and customize her puppy parenting plan to fit to this little pups schedule and needs, but definitely and only as a temporary way of life. She can alter it, slowly, and train it to follow the rules... But the way she has her household ran would make it impossible for this dog to just "understand" overnight.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 11:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• @Dianakk, the puppy was six and a half weeks and I forgot I put six weeks in the question so when asked again I just gave her the extra three days. I noticed that later too.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 4:49 AM on Feb. 26, 2011