Atheists

I hate driving or riding in the car, and before I was an atheist, I would pray before and during any trips in the car. Now, when I drive on this one part of the road where there is a big drop off with no railing, I find myself saying "please keep us safe, please keep us safe" but, who am I talking to? I don't believe there is a God or anything else that will supernaturally keep me safe, lol. Do you ever find yourself doing anything like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I will say things like that - but I am talking to the Universe, not "God."
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:33 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• maybe the OP is reaching out for trying to figure what she believes, rather than to whom she believes.
    or maybe the brainwashing is just now beginning, ihartu. *rolling my eyes*
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:30 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Atheism just means you don't believe in a deity. It doesn't mean you don't believe in positive energy.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:39 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• You do, as we all do without realizing it, ask your guardian spirits for help. Nothing wrong with that. That's what they're there for.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:45 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• NO that doesn't happen to me. While I was raised Christian, I was never a believing Christian.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Maybe you're really talking to yourself or the Universe? If I say anything close to that, it's more about building my confidence or sending positive energy out in the Universe or something like that. Sometimes people say things like that as a mantra or to make yourself feel better. You don't necessarily have to believe in 'God' to believe in Magick or energy. Personally, I don't believe in anything supernatural, and anything that exists IS natural in my opinion--even if we don't fully understand how it fits into the laws of the Universe right now. I think the concept of 'God' is equivalent to the Universe and forces within nature, but I don't believe in any kind of supernatural being.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Were you always an Atheist? I ask only because if you were a believer in God for any amount of time, I think the brainwashing is so extensive that it takes a long time for that automatic 'turning to God' thing to go away. The more you place trust in yourself, the less that will happen. The de-programming takes time. At least that's how it was with me.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:44 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Well I do a self "Don't drive off the edge, Don't drive off the edge" bit because I really don't like drop-offs like that either. (Or if my husband is driving it's clearly aimed at him.) So it could be as simple as pleading to yourself to keep everyone safe by keeping your focus on the road or as IHartU stated it could be breaking a habit that had become subconcious. Sort of like an impulse plead in order to get through a scary situation. It's psychologically tied to the "fight or flight" instinct we all have but instead of fighting or fleeing you are forced to just sit. So the adrenaline is pumping the heart rate increases and you start to panic so you talk to yourself in order to calm down.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I talk to my car a lot, and I talk to myself. When I was 18, I drove a little Geo Metro that had 3 cylinders. Something went wrong with the car one day and in the middle of winter on a very isolated road, that little car got me home on only 2 cylinders. I thanked my car for keeping me safe and getting me home. Before that, I had a car that wasn't very reliable. One morning I told the car that if it didn't start, I would trade it in for scrap metal. It didn't start, and I traded it in for my little Metro that afternoon, LOL.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:13 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Angels maybe?? Or reminding yourself to pay attention. i carry crystals in my glove box associated with safe travel, and of course an Archangel Michael medallion hangs off the rearview mirror along with a black obsidian.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2011