About how often should my 3 month old nurse?

My husband thinks he should be starting to eat a little less often, but he's not really on a schedule. Sometimes he'll want to eat an hour after he ate, and sometimes, no more than once a day, he'll go about 5 or 6 hours. Average is about 2-3 though. It's all over the place.

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 7:30 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Every 3 hours during the day, and he should be sleeping through the night.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:57 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• He should start to be getting on a schedule now. My kids didn't sleep through the night until over a year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:58 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Every 3-4 hours, for mine. They were not a schedule but a routine of eat play sleep. that order helped stretch the times between feedings. At night it was 5-6 hours for them. I guess we were lucky.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:07 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Have you checked out the website kellymom? They have a lot of good info for nursing mothers. It's been a while since I have had a 3 months old, but if I remember correctly, my daughter was every 3-4 hours from the start. Except when she went through growth spurts, then she wanted to nurse every hour. I can also say that every child is different. I think as long as you're following your baby's cues, and he's happy, and making enough wet diapers every day, then you're doing fine. Also, if he's sleeping through the night at 3 months old, you're one lucky momma! Mine didn't start sleeping through the night until well after she was a year old, after we weaned. I don't think there should a standard on what age babies should be sleeping through the night, cause every child is different. And worrying about weather or not they're sleeping through the night just adds extra stress.

Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:42 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• He should be eating whenever he wants and most are NOT sleeping through the night at 3 months old as someone else said. The average is about 3-4 hours during the day and 5-6 at night at 3 months old, but not all kids follow that average and my oldest did not. He was still eating about every 2 hours during the day and 4 during the night at 4 months old. As long as you are getting 6-8 wet diapers a day things are good and LO is gaining well on the breastfed babies chart. He should be starting to get into a schedule of his own though until a growth spurt hits and throws it all out of whack.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:39 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• good advice eviesmommy!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• My daughter nursed, on average, every 2 hours until she was 11.5 months old. At night she did have one long stretch that started when she was around 3 months. The long stretch being 4 hours at first and then slowly became longer. After the one long stretch, then it was back to every 2 hours. Your son sounds fine.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• All babies are different and they will go through periods of time were they eat alot and times when they don't. As long as he is growing and hitting all his mile markers there really isn't anything to worry about. I didn't put either one of my kids on a set schedule either. If babies weight gain really slows down or he starts loosing weight or drops the number of times he eats to once a day then get him in to see his dr. If he is happy, health, and sleeping good then there is nothing to worry about.

Good luck!!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2011