I want to make pan-seared T-bone, but.....

My granny gave us some t-bone steaks and I plan on cooking them tonight. So I looked up recipes online and found an incredible-looking one from Tyler Florence. He promises that you'll never need another steak recipe again and nearly all the reviewers agreed wholeheartedly. So I am pumped! Only thing that is worrying me is I don't have a skillet that can go in the oven. So, what if I preheat my oven with a baking pan or something in there to get that heated up and transfer my steaks from my skillet to that pan after searing them? Will that work? Also, it didn't say in the recipe if a cast iron was used. Obviously, I don't have one. Should I still try this recipe?

zeppelynn

Asked by zeppelynn at 7:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Food & Drink

• What kind of pan do you have? Transfer them to an oven usable dutch oen without a lid.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:04 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Check the thrigt stores for a pan.
    tootoobusy

• You want all the fond in the bottom of the pan for the sauce. Most pans can stand up to 500 deg. max. If your handle is Bakelite you can put some foil around it. If not, it really does pay to invest in a decent pan for the oven. Paula Deen came out with a line that they sell at Walmart. You can also check out Tuesday Morning, they get some good stuff and discount it. It also doesn't have to be cast iron. I finally got at a garage sale one of those ceramic coated Dutch ovens, unused, for oven braising. I paid $20 for something that sells for $200.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:07 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Can't I just dump the juices on top of the steak in the baking pan? I just have a regular nonstick TFal skillet with no lid. The handle doesn't say anything but TFal. Do you think I could foil it up and stick it in the oven? That would be awesome if I could do that. The recipe only calls for like 8 minutes of cooking in the oven at most.
    zeppelynn

Comment by zeppelynn (original poster) at 8:12 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Can you just use a casserole dish? I have a large glass one I use for a lot of my oven baking.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:40 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• First, you need to start watching for sales on good cookware. Nonstick works great for scrambled eggs, but a proper, heavy bottomed skillet is a necessity.
    Second, the reason this recipe won't turn out quite as well as Tyler's is because the nonstick isn't set up to give you that awesome brown, crusty stuff at the bottom of the pan - the 'fond' - as another poster mentioned.
    As long as the pan doesn't have plastic handles, you should be fine for an 8 minute period, but I wouldn't go any longer than that. The chemicals that make nonstick don't react well to prolonged high temperatures.
    Maybe today is a good day to hit WalMart or Kohls!
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 8:47 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Don't put a t-fal pan in the oven - I have some too and they are not at all oven safe! Use a rimmed cookie sheet if you can't go shopping before cooking. Invest in a cast iron skillet as soon as you can - they are kind of spendy but sooooooo worth it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 12, 2011