My son has become such a picky eater..what do i do?

My son is two. Wont eat alot of what I make, its weird because he was never like this before. He loves rice, mashed potatoes but sometimes wont eat it. Doestn want to try new foods. Only wants to snack on chips, candy and juice. I offer him fruit and veggies in every meal. But nothing..Am i doing something wrong????

zvmontiel

Asked by zvmontiel at 8:28 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't give him chips, candy or juice. At meals and snack times offer him only healthy options. Most of our snacks are fresh fruit only, or sometimes yogurt. Juice at our house is a treat - diluted 50/50, but most days it's only 2 cups of milk and the rest water. Kids go through phases, just offer him whatever the meal is and if he doesn't eat it then he has to wait until the next meal/snack. He won't starve!

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Thankyou, I will stop letting him snack on those things. In the morning he wont eat his cereal or pancakes, just drinks his milk and seems happy. Maybe i should just relax..i think i worry about him starving or something lol. i will offer him more snacks..thankyou he does like yogurt.. and drinks plenty water..sometimes i just wonder if this is enough for a child..
    zvmontiel

Comment by zvmontiel (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• My daughter is somewhat the same. The only meats she'll eat is chicken and sausage. But i dont have a problem making her eat fruits and veggies. But when I want her to try something new I say to her "Please, I know you'll like it". And she always tries it. I've leanred that if you try and force your child, you both will end up sceaming! But yeah, cut the snack foods. Believe me he will eat if he gets hungry enough!
    kelly92088

Answer by kelly92088 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Im with you! my 2.5 year old DS doesnt like to eat most of the time. He drinks more milk then I could ever think of choking down!! I know that a child wont let themselves starve. So you have a couple of options... take away their drinks and snacks, but while you are doing that take away your own drinks and snacks. Let me know how that works out for the both of you. We both know that it would be horrible. People tell me to take away my sons milk and then he will eat but until Im ready to take away my own drinks, I just cant do it to him. His whole life he has been in the 80 percentile or higher. I could see changing things if he was unhealthy, but im going to leave mine for now. good luck mom!!
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Thankyou everyone for your answers!! this is the first time I post a question, Im new here to this website. Lots of good ideas.. I will try to take your advice and see where it goes. My son loves his milk too =) Good luck with your lil picky eaters too lol hugs
    zvmontiel

Comment by zvmontiel (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2011