Divorce/Marriage question

Ok, I live in state A. The wait time to get remarried after divorce is sixty days AFTER the divorce is final which takes 30 days. So a total of 90 days before you can get remarried.

My neighboring state state B has no wait time. Is it legal to go to state B and get married since they have no wait limit...or do you have to go by whatever laws are put in place in the state you get divorced in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• I would talk to an attorney, but I believe that once your divorce is final it's final - the laws of the state you are in with regard to marriage aren't about your divorce, they are about general law (if that makes sense?) I think you could get married in another state following their rules with no issues at all.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:22 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• bump~
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I think you can get married anywhere. People I know have done the destination weddings, and gotten married in the Bahamas. But they weren't divorced. But people go to Vegas, gay marriages also go out of state to get married. So why not would be my question.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:36 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• i know i can get married anywhere...but i just want to make sure its ok to get married before the sixty days are up in the state i was divorced in, even if im getting marreid in a different state wtih no wait time.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Generally, the divorce decree means you can't get married for that period of time...period. However, take a look at it closely and see if it states that it is specific to your state only. In the eyes of the law, all states have to respect the laws of the other states. IE...state A recognizes common law marriage & state B does not. Although state B doesn't allow common law marriages to occur in their state, they HAVE to recognize a common law marriage from state A, as it is a legal binding union. Otherwise, we'd have ppl married to multiple ppl in multiple states. This also relates to divorce for the most part. To truly get the most accurate answer, call the court clerk. They will tell you exactly what you can and can't do. Hope this helps.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:40 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Unfortunately, you are bound by the laws of the state in which you live. You could go to your neighboring state, but you would not be legally divorced, therefore commiting a crime.
    GammyDleo

Answer by GammyDleo at 8:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• actually i would be legally divorced. Once the DIVORCE IS FINAL then its final. different states just have different wait times.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2011