If you are against the Patriot Act, how do you feel about THIS?!

It USED to be that under the Patriot Act, first implemented under the Bush II Administration, and later EXTENDED by the Obama Administration, that wiretapping and/or monitoring of suspected terrorists, sympathizers or those who may have been somehow connected to disrupting our national security, needed to be based on a legitimate concern.

NOW, thanks to Obama, the phone records of ANYONE making international calls WILL be subjected to collection and review by the FBI?!?!

So for those of you who have friends and/or family living in "terrorist hot beds" such as the Middle East...how do YOU feel about having your phone records collected and reviewed by the FBI...just because?!?!

The Obama administration's Justice Department has asserted that the FBI can obtain telephone records of international calls made from the U.S. without any formal legal process or court oversight, according to a document obtained by McClatchy."

***

"In the report, the Justice Department's inspector general said "the OLC agreed with the FBI that under certain circumstances (word or words redacted) allows the FBI to ask for and obtain these records on a voluntary basis from the providers, without legal process or a qualifying emergency."

***

"Apparently, they've decided that this provision means that your international communications are a privacy-free zone and that they can get records of those communications without any legal process."

That interpretation could be stretched to apply to e-mails as well..."

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/02/11/108562/obama-assertion-fbi-can-get-phone.html

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 8:34 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The Patriot Act is needed as long as we have this politically correct attitude that we are not at war with Muslim extremists that want to kill you and me and our families here on our own soil. To think that man power is used to listen in on Grandma is ridiculous unless she is calling someone with ties to terrorism (and believe me, they know what they are looking for). This Act helps our guys keep one step ahead of these animals that threaten our country and instead of arrogantly pontificating about loss of your freedom to chat up your friends (you socialists are all for restricting our freedoms through government mandates) you should do what Big Sis wants and "see something, say something". When the terrorists are on the run OUT of our country instead of INTO, we can re-visit this Act for modification.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 7:01 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I think Bush had it set up very carefully using the same tools in place for Mafia. The progressives railed against it for votes but it was a no doubter Obama would continue with it or even expand its reach.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:44 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• See, I'm a law-abiding citizen with nothing to hide, too. And this is beyond the pale. I should be able to call or e-mail whomever I choose, wherever they live without the government reading a printout of my conversation. It's none of their business what I talk about.

What's next? Interstate communication?
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:02 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• The Patriot act only extended the roving bug tool to terrorist activities. It had long been in used in investigating Organized crime.  It only extended the court approved use to terrorist activity. This goes WAY beyond that.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:34 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I want the FBI/CIA to be able to listen/read the communications of people they have strong suspicions are out to do large scale harm. I don't like them being able to listen/read just because you use the phone. Where is the probable cause? This flies in the face of the 4th Amendment.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:04 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I don't like the Patriot act and I sure as hell don't like this. I'm also a law abiding citizen but I don't need the government monitoring my every move either.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:04 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I have many friends who live overseas and my husband travels overseas a few times a year. I don't have anything to hide but it would be embarrassing if someone listened in on an intimate phone call between my husband and I. When I am on the phone I expect privacy and I am not willing to give that up in the name of security. Listening in on me and other like me who are not terrorists means they are wasting time and not using resources property. 

Iwonder how long it will be before they expand this further and interstate and even local calls are monitored.  I am not a conspiracy theorist in any way but I do see the slippery slope we are headed towards.  Anyone with their eyes opened should see it.   I cringed when the Patriot Act was passed and as much as I disliked Obama and his policies hoped eliminating the Patriot Act was one promise he would keep.  

FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 10:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Well, crap. My neighbor across the way is from the Middle east. Do you think they'll want documentation every time one of us runs back and forth? that's going to get real old in the summer.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Obama = BushLite

Friday

Answer by Friday at 10:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Hmmm....my husband happens to be in a terrorist "hotbed" right now. I frequently talk to him about the moms on here...he finds it entertaining.........so I guess they are going to know some more about some of you. Don't worry though...if you aren't an idiot you are all good!

I have always hated the Patriot Act. I do think the govt should have some "tools" at their disposal for chasing the bad guys wherever they may be. The problem is they ALWAYS overreach. This doesn't surprise me though...BO did say he was going to fundamentally change the country.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2011