Gift for my son going away to war

Hi to all the moms out there , I really need help in getting my baby boy- airman something serious to make him feel us close nearby when he is in afghanistan he is 20 yrs old and I am devistated that he is going there . I know thats what he signed up for and I really think he is nervous and of course its to be expected . I dont let him see it but I only have 2 boys and I am a mess thinking about it so I need to send him with somethinh small . I appreciate all of your responses .

freesririt1990

Asked by freesririt1990 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Shopping

• How about an iPod? You could load it with pictures, movies, and songs that remind him of home. Tell your son thank you from my family and myself; hoping he returns safe to you soon.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:57 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Can you send a photobook? You can get them pretty quickly made at Walmart photo or Walgreens I think. You just take your SD card with around 20 photos and use their equipment to design it. It isnt that big, you can choose various sizes. You can also send him with a nice lighter I am sure he will be able to use it even if he doesnt smoke.
    Some things we always sent my dad with was plenty of socks, extra shirts, beef jerky bc it stays a long time, and just little things even chap stick that is hard to find there. We would send extra shampoo he liked, and soaps etc. You can put together a pretty good care package for him to take with him.

Answer by gemgem at 9:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• a photo of family, or how about an angel key chain which is what I would get for my son but have three daughters.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 9:57 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• maybe a small family photo, one he carry with him at all times and maybe with quote of Bible verse on back to remind him how much you love him.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• One of those digital photo albums that hold 1000's of pictures. As someone who lost a BIL in 9/11 tell him thank you for his service to our country.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• is he able to take his laptop? get him a webcam and a skype account to keep in touch!. The best thing would be treats! sending baked goods, enough for him and all the guys in his squad. I sent my DH a photobook to keep him company. They really dont have alot of space, so dont send anything big, and try not to send too many valuables, in case they get stolen. And When you send care packages dont send too many hygeine supplies, I heard guys complaining about all the hygeine stuff and having to throw it away.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:04 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• How about a care package:-) P.M. for my store or visit my profile:-) We have some nice care packages with lots of goodies:-)
    uniquemom30

Answer by uniquemom30 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• How about a laptop with webcam so you can communicate with him and see him while talking. Great gift.. cant go wrong.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Besides your heart, try giving him a bracelet with a lucky stone on it or something that brings a special memory to mind. a rabbit's foot,
    they're always a good thing and can be stroked. Ask him what he'd like, and listen he may not be forthcoming.
    kayers43

Answer by kayers43 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• How about somethign that's been in the family; when my dad died i got his chain he wore everyday to protect him o nthe job [he was apolice officer who died on the line of duty] I think a little family token a pocket watch with a photo in it, a hanky with your famly name on it Idk. Soemthing small. My friend is i nthe airforce and you are not aloud to take a laptop or a cellphone.
    Jersey_class

Answer by Jersey_class at 10:18 AM on Feb. 12, 2011