My son is 2mnts old and he is constantly hungry as i do not get adequate milk. please help.

i did not get milkfor 5 days and later when i got it was too less to suffice my baby, till today i m unable to feed my baby till he is full. i ad to strart with formula. how do i increasr my milk? i have tried everything from fenugreek to various medicines, please help

arvikins

Asked by arvikins at 10:02 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was like that. I had a day when I needed to do a lot of chores and all he wanted to do was latch and suck. And he was still hungry. When DH came home from work I gave him the screaming baby. He took out a bottle of formula that the hosp. gave us and he sucked down 8 oz., at which I said I was done breastfeeding and just went to the bottle. I don't think I was drinking enough while I nursed.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:05 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• The more you let him nurse the more milk you will produce. Having the attitude, "I'm all his/hers for the next 2-3 months" is a must.
    IF you're feeling like a martyr, then quit nursing and use only the bottle. It's got to be your decision. You can feel awfully picked on when
    it's only you doing all the feeding and that usually includes most if not all the changing. Having an unhappy time with your baby does
    not give you the sweet memories you were looking for, so do what you're happy with.
    kayers43

Answer by kayers43 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Some of us never produce enough milk. Don't beat yourself up about it if this is the case. Supplement with formula if you want to keep nursing, and don't worry too much about nipple confusion, because most babies switch back and forth just fine.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:58 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• good point!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• may just be smarter for you to use formula as well.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Ditch the bottles. He will fight it at first, but nursing is the only way you're going to increase your supply. Join the Breastfeeding Mom's Group and you'll get lots of advice and support.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• First take a second to relax. My babies were this away too. They seemed to be feeding all the time. What I did was at about 4 weeks or so of age I started to pump more and give them the bm through a bottle. For some reason they liked this. I still breastfed but I fed him with a bottle at least 1 to 2 times a day. This helped in 2 ways. #1 Baby cried less which decreased my stress which increased milk supply. #2 baby was used to using a bottle so when I had to go back to work he wasn't so attached to breast only.

To breastfeed successfuly you must be 100% comfortable with your choice. Relaxing is key, drink plenty of water (if you are dehydrated your body has no fluid to produce bm with), Pump after each feeding and to make sure your breast are empty and this tells the body to produce more. I pumped during the night for the 1st 3-4 months. If alchole relaxed you drink upto 1 glass a day. Good luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• try these lactating cookies and feed your baby more the more he feeds the more you produce,. maybe try expressing after each feed to even if you don't get anything out the stimulation will help to increase supply!

shirl16

Answer by shirl16 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2011