Do you think that kids are taught in society to grow up faster and faster?

I have noticed that kids know so much at young ages now. my tweens (boy and girl) know and hear things I didn't know long down the road. I feel like schools are becoming stressful for kids even though I do believe in getting a good education. However, also believe some of smartest people alive never had a degree.
I wonder when a kid is suppose to be a kid now? Sports are more focused on win win win instead of learn, fun, discipline and Sportmanship? I just think society plays too big of a role in my kids' life personally and I decided to change that in my family even though some may look down.
This isn't a blame or drama post but a concern. Hope everyone has a great day.

ConnectHearts

Asked by ConnectHearts at 10:20 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• ~*YES*~... my son's kindergarten teacher litterly placed my son on a time out... another kid said the word "fart", and my son laughed... she actually thinks he at that age should be mature enough to not laugh?!?!?!

I on the other hand teach my kids to "live", be a kid while they are still young, and I let her know I'm 30 and I would have laughed too!!! I refuse to talk to her anymore and I will not punish him at home for getting a green, yellow, red because he knows the work and is bored... and fiddling with his pencil at his desk pretending it is Star Wars!!!

MAYBE IF THESE SO CALLED ADULTS HAD A CHILDHOOD THEMSELVES THEY'D STOP TRYING TO STEAL OTHERS KIDS'????
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Kids today are growing up way to fast. The pressure put on them to achieve in school and the homework load leaves no time for kids to be kids. Last weekend my dd stayed in to work on homework, she is not a slacker in any way and gets all A's but I would like to see her have more fun. She is more responsible than I am. I am always trying to get her to take a short break and have some fun. To me it is not fair that she is in school for 6 hours and comes home with 5 hours of homework.
    I can't wait until spring break and if any teacher gives her a big project they are going to hear from me. Kids should be kids!!!!!
    ventingmom

Answer by ventingmom at 3:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I'm not sure about "growing up" faster. But I do believe that kids are being forced (by school) to learn more at an earlier age. When I was in kindergarten ( in the late 50's) it was mostly play and learning how to get along with others ~now kids almost have to know how to read etc.
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:27 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I haven't noticed with my kids. My almost 11yo is still into playing with Barbies. I asked her and friend one day if they weren't too old for that and they both said no. She also has a large collection of those little animals that come in the quarter machines at the grocery store, loves silly bandz (she has over 200 for a contest with her friends) and LOVES her zhu shu pet (she has 2 of them and she gets together with her brother and sisters and their friends to "race" them around the dining room).
    My 9yo son is just now getting into sports but only plays with his friends at the park. He isn't interested in playing competitively. he still sleeps with a stuffed animal and only recently started playing video games.
    They seem like normal kids to me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Kids today are growing up too fast because parents are letting them grow up too fast. Don't blame schools, media, etc. A parent still has the ability to allow their children to be children. I raised my son to be a child, he plays 1 sport a season. He didn't have to learn how to read in Kindergarten, the teacher refused to make her "babies" read before the 3rd quarter of school. She let them be kids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:44 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I think its an all around cultural contribution, including parents, to kids growing up too fast. When a 3 year old has a different sport/activity every single day, and the parents force them to practice at home, the parents are to blame for the child growing up too fast. Music and tv shows contribute, but again, parents on the ones allowing it on the tv. No, you can't shelter your children forever, but you can set limits and boundaries based on age and maturity. As far as schools go, sadly teachers are not to blame, they are not the ones setting the standards for education, that's the federal government. The teachers are told what to teach, and their job is to follow those standard. In the state of Ohio the kindergarden standards for 4th quarter state a child must read with a 75% accuracy rate, and have at least a 75% comprehension rate in order to pass on to 1st grade. (cont)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• So when children are being forced to learn to read in kindergarden it has nothing to do with the teacher lacking a childhood herself, or her being "mean" its because the state is telling her either she teaches the children to read, or she's fired. Schools get their funding based on achievement test scores, so there is a huge push in schools for kids to learn information quickly, and probably earlier then they should. But the teachers and schools are not the ones to blame here, its dates back to NCLB and the mandates set forth by the federal government. If parents feel their children are being forced to learn too much too fast in schools, then something needs to be done at the federal level, blaming the teachers who themselves know the laws and mandates are stupid, but have their hands tied, does no one any good.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2011