Has Valentines turned into Halloween Part 2 in your classroom parties, too?

I don't know when this started, but it's been the norm as long as DS has gone to his school. Half the kids who bring in Valentines to hand out at the party bring them with all kinds of candy or cookies attached. I asked his kindy teacher about it the first time I saw it, and she told one year, a parent had even sent Mylar helium balloons for each kid (and what fun it was to keep those contained and accounted for the rest of the day).

When I was in school, you got Valentines from classmates in your little mailbox, and the room parents handed out a cookie or cupcake. Now we get goodie bags from the teachers (which are usually things like pencils and notepads) just so they have somewhere to dump all the candy they get from the other kids.

I'm seriously considering taping organic granola bars to each of DS's this year, just to see if anyone takes the hint.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Holidays

• My 9 yr old received several pieces of candy as well as cards. Also, interestingly enough, he also brought home gift packs containing granola bars, more than one. So I suppose other parents are trying to be conscientious of the sugar intake such as you are saying.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:00 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• OMG I was thinking this, this morning when I saw the bag full of cards and goodies I bought.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Yeah, as a teacher I saw a lot of candy on V Day too. You know, it's ONE DAY, and kids love the sweets.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2011