S/o of the 15 yo who fed the medicated brownie to the toddler

If you missed the orig, it's here:

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/734800/You_almost_killed_a_baby_But_its_not_your_fault_right

Several answers in that question say that a 15 yr old is too young to babysit.  I include myself in that to a degree, since I don't think anyone (at any age) who is too stupid to understand medicine for adults isn't safe for a 2 year old should be babysitting.  But them I'm thinking...what if it had been the 2 year old's 15 year old mother instead of 15 year old uncle?  Would we still be saying a 15 year old is too young to care for a child?  Or if he was the 15 year old father, would we be harsher on him than if he were the 15 year old mother?

Lets face it, there are moms on this site who had babies that young.  Is it really the age that's a factor?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:07 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Maturity is a factor.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Sure it is... don't you know we're unfit? *sarcasm*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:12 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I think it all depends on the maturity of the child. I have been baby sitting and help raising kids since I was 8. I don't see how it's the 15 yr old fault. You sells a medicated brownie to a child? It's not ever about age.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I had to take a safety course when I was fifteen to babysit they gave us safety first aid and most of all numbers to call if we were in over our head. I called first the parents and if I could not find them a relative. Age is and is not a factor there are full grown people who do things like this where did the fifteen year old learn this behavior from?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Curious to see the responses to this one. I have used 14 and 15 year old sitters. They have been through the sitter course at school and know CPR and basic first aid. My 16 year old will babysit sometimes too. I don't think my sitters or my son would be very good parents they are too young but they are wonderful sitters.

FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 11:13 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Its sad, I doubt the teenager meant to hurt the toddler.
    Justmom223

Answer by Justmom223 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• My mom had my first little brother when I was 8. By the time I was 13, I was solely responsible for the care, feeding, and bathing of THREE children. Two of whom were deemed "special needs" (in quotes because they were deemed special needs by coercion in an effort to get drugs and social security money, but it still meant they had certain extra things that needed to be done.

My brothers and sister were well cared for. Clean, well-fed, and taught to read.

A 15 year old absolutely CAN be a good sitter, but being 15 doesn't make one qualified to babysit. They should be exceptionally mature, responsible, and have taken first aid and child care courses. (Available through the red cross) It should also be for a limited amount of time, not, say, an eight hour shift.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:14 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• im confused- did or did not the 15 year old know the brownie had melatonin in it? if he knew, how come it is not his fault after knowingly feeding a piece of it to a toddler?

aside from that confusion, i agree maturity is a factor here.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• *who
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• When I was young at 14 we could take a babysitting course and then get a license to baby sit, but this boy has most likely been around this child since he was born and should know what he is doing by know.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 12, 2011