Too many birthday presents?

My niece had a birthday this week and was given over 200$ worth of birthday presents by her each of her (divorced) parents. Not a huge thing, right? Dad works part time at Walmart and pays 600$ a month in child support for three kids, Mom has no job and is getting state assistance and food stamps. When did children's birthdays become an excuse to spend every penny you have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• What does it matter? It's their child, and I think they're old enough to decide what they should and shouldn't do with their money. If you were the mom or the dad and you were asking this question, then it would be your business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• sounds like more of a competition between the parents...unfortunately with situations like that the best interest is not in the child...and look at the situation...the dad works at walmart has 3 kids who he's not even with the mother and an unemployed mother...does it really sound like they have financial responsibility or parental responsibility??? no to me....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:13 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Obviosly stated by somebody who spends too much money on presents they can't afford for their kids. I think sombody on state assistance shouldn't BE on state assistance if they have that much to spend on a kid's birthday.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2011