What can I do to spice up my living room decor on a budget?

My couch is brown, my chair is brown, the rug is dark red, and we are renting and not allowed to paint anything. The room is tiny and I've tried re-arranging the furniture, but nothing seems to work except the way that we have it! It's so frustrating! The room looks like poo :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• paint can do wonders! a can of paint is only about $10, then another $10 for supplies, you can do a spruce for $20-30! go to diy.com or hgtv.com and they have some great ideas for painting tips and tricks
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

•  

Just a little inspiration for you! Make your own colorful throw pillows, change up the curtains, go to garage sales and pick up different things! The posibilities are endless!

BTW, these are from better homes and gardens ( bhg.com)

CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:17 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I'd love to paint, but it's in our lease that we aren't allowed :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Sometimes getting coach covers, or chair covers can make a difference in a room. Changing the covers for different seasons will bring a new look and decor. Adding different color pillows can also help. Is the rug an area rug? If so, you can change the rug maybe have a different color. I am not sure how to change the furniture since you don't have a pic. Hopefully some of the things I suggested will help.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• brown, brown and red, hmmm I'd get an area rug from a yard sale or craiglist to lighten and drive a new theme into the room. With brown so dominate in color you can do three things very economically. choose the color palette you want in there. I like two shades of green with a light tan and white for throw pillows. I'd create a large fabric wall hanging in those tones ( very inexpensive) or 3 panels of complimentary colors from your pallette. area rug, throw pillows and wall art are quick fixes. hope this helps. I've re-faced many a rooms for under 100.00. Have fun, let us know what you do and send us before and after pictures.
    CuvierMom

Answer by CuvierMom at 11:29 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• first reply .. she cant paint

how abt some bright pictures / clock / curtains? change the colour of the rug
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I go to Big Lots every so often and see what they have as far as decor goes. You can find some good things there, and most of the time there are coordinating peices. Right now having shopped for a new livingroom set I can tell you brown is in, so there is alot out there that can help spruce up your decor.

Answer by gemgem at 11:36 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Start with a slip cover?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• A large mirror can do wonders with making a small space seem larger. Slipcovers are great - and some bright colored throw pillows. If you can fit it in your budget, a new rug in a brighter color would help too - or something with a pattern of several different colors. Just buying little pieces every other month or so can make over a new room in no time! Also - have your kids paint/color some pictures (give them colors that coordinate with your decor) and buy some inexpensive frames to hang on the walls.

Answer by missanc at 8:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• new pillows,blankets,art(even make your own I proudly have some of my DS "abstract" art hanging in my house from when he was 3 yo),
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2011