In your opinion do you think it's possible for someone to hate their own race?

Me and my husband stumbled on some old year books last night and got to talking and reminiscing. There was one white guy who always said he hated white people. He would only hang around black people. He didn't have a good relationship with his family. It got me thinking is it possible for someone to hate their race? Or maybe people just go through an identity crisis? What do you think? Do you know someone like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• ~*Yes*~ it stems from self hate!!! I knew a really big black boy in high school who hated himself so much he would litterally yell "white power"?!?! I wouldn't even do something like that even though I love "me"!!! I knew a girl who hated being white so much she thought she was black.... than again, I have a second cousin, that is mixed, but he appears black, and he'll tell you he is "Black Irish", and it you don't like black people, he'll mentally toy with you and get his kicks out of it... I still laugh when I watch him!

I personally am multi-racial, and couldn't imagine loving one part of me over another, because it is all rolled up and what makes me who/what I am... I love me! And unless a person is some color I haven't seen, I could care less... hahaha.. better be green or purple!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I think it's possible, but that person would have to be really damaged..
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Of course people can be racist against their own race, for whatever reason. Usually it has something to do with something that happened to them as a child or something very traumatic.

Answer by gemgem at 11:45 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Yes I have seen shows about the very subject.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• yes,it is very possible. i see it where I live.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I think anyone who hates an ENTIRE race has HUGE ISSUES.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Absolutely. Look at Hitler.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:23 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I think it's possible.
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Yes have seen it many times.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 12:27 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Well I can answer for myself I am african American and i grew up in an ALL white neighborhood and went to all white schools so when i got to the dating age i only dated white because that is all i knew and grew up with.
    I never hated my race or hated being black at all because you cant change it but everyone has a choice to date who or what they want and maybe in his case he just feels more at home around black and hated his family because he was unrulely as a child and his parents tried to keep him on the right track.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2011