How far away is your OBGYN?

I am trying to find a good OBGYN. My doctor doesn't do obstetrics :(

How far away is too far?

I found an office that I like about 10 miles away. It would take me about 17 minutes to drive there. It's half way between home and my husband's work, so it would be good if he needed to meet me there without much notice.

My concern is that in traffic, if I couldn't take the interstate) it might be more like a 30 (maybe even 40) minute drive.

I normally figure that's pretty close... what do you more experienced moms think? Is that close enough to home?

angelm523

Asked by angelm523 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Considering all an OBGYN does, I would be willing to drive as far as needed for a really good one!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I have to go to the hospital cuz im high risk and it takes me a good 20 to 30 min with traffic
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• The OBGYN that I used for both my kids is 45 minutes away.
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 11:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• i think thats fine but if youd feel more comfortable find soemting closer. with my daughter my OB was an hr away in good traffic but i didnt mind bc i loved my doc and that hosp, but this time i found a doc that i really love thats about 30 mins away but i live in the country so thats about as close as i can get haha
    mama2r

Answer by mama2r at 12:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• i live right in town so maybe 5 minutes away
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• mine is a 10 min drive
    bobbys4eva

Answer by bobbys4eva at 12:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• More importantly is the kind of care you are receiving.
    It's worth interviewing several providers to get the care you want.
    They are not all the same!!
    If you are thinking you'd like to be certain you had someone with you then maybe plan to have a birth doula or even a midwife that does home prenatal appts.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• My OBGYN is just about 5 minutes away, and our hospital is an easy 10 or 15. It just makes me feel more comfortable that we could get there quickly with minimal traffic.

b.leavitt101

Answer by b.leavitt101 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Wow that's good news then, I feel better about going here now. There were two places closer to me (I live in a big city) but this place I feel more comfortable with.

Thanks!
    angelm523

Comment by angelm523 (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2011