Kinda freaking...don't know what to do. adult content

Ok, so yesterday my son gave his little "girlfriend" my cell number so she could call him. I thought "oh how cute" that's fine, I'll let him talk to her. Well, first she sent a text saying hi and that her phone would call the number (I assume she dialed wrong). Anyway so I let them talk last night. (if you could call it talking it was them being silly) Fast forward to this morning. She sends him a message to call her. Ok, fine, I let him, but I told him it couldnt be long because we have things to do. Well, the were on the phone, speaker was on, so I could hear it all, but then they started texting too. (which I didn't know you could do with my phone) Well,the little girl sent something very inappropriate. She sent, "I'm having sex". Ok, my son is 8, will be 9 in March..I did not want to have to deal with this type of thing now. Well, my son answers with things like what, with who..blah blah. Oh and when she answered who she said my son..his replies where "faints" and then just jibberish. She said later that she was still having it, but changed the name to someone else. My son answered with "wow" I am MORTIFIED! Seriously freaking actually. My son has already gotten a serious talking to and this phone thing is over. I really thought it was gonna be a cute and innocent thing, but I guess not. So, now I don't know what to do. My son at this point in time, he doesn't even know what sex is..I mean he knows that it is something personal and private, but he doesn't know details. So, I still plan on a more extensive conversation when I get my thoughts collected, but should I punish? UGH, I don't know. He's a great kid and actually never said anything bad, but I really wish he would have just ignored her about it. Then, do I say something to her mother? I think the little girl used her grandparents phone because that is who she said she was with yesterday and it is the same number. I'm also certain she deleted what she sent off of their phone because she told my son to delete it off of mine. So basically I don't know what to do about it.

Oh, and I am submitting this anonymously mainly to protect both of the kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• call her parents and no he shouldnt be punished he wasnt saying he was having sex
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 11:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Personally, I would call the girls mother/grandparents...whoever.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• definately let her mother know, I dont know what the hell is happening to kids these days, 17 years ago when my son started kindergarten, I picked him up on the first day and this little girl came running over to him and STUCK HER PHONE NUMBER IN HIS FRONT POCKET!!!!!! I almsot went ape! I told her mother that I thought that was highly innapropriate behaviour for a KG'r. She agreed and had a talk with her daughter but still....
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 12:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I would call the number, if the little girl answers ask to speak to her mom/grandma, and explain to them what was written. Did you delete what she wrote? If not, offer to show them what was written. Even if you did delete, at least they know maybe she was writing this stuff and it's time to talk to her. not to get all Freudian or anything but it's my understanding that when kids this age start talking about sex and things it's because they were sexually abused. Not necessarily though. Either way, yes you need to call the parents.

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• By 9 most kids do know about sex even if us parents want to think they dont. What happens just proves he already knows and so does the gf. It doesnt mean they will act on it, they are probably just talking smack and being silly. If it bothers you alot I would get a hold of the girls parents and make them aware of what she is doing. She may end up sexting someone older one day and something bad could result from that. As a mom I would want to know if my dd was doing those things at 8 or 18.

Answer by gemgem at 12:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Do not punish him for what the girl is doing! instead call her parents and tell them how she is talking.

you will have to sit down and talk to your son about sex now and tell him when a girl talks like this to be careful, these kind of girls will get him into trouble and keep away.

Smart to keep the phone on speaker!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I can only imagine your shock. I would defintely inform the girl's parents. As for you son, I would not punish him. Simply sit down and have a talk with him.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Girls r getting pregnant by the age of 10!!!! This is a fact!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:05 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Look at all those trampy clothes girls wear!!!
    dancer

• yes inform her parents.... but you dont need to punish your son just talk to him
    Mrs.Prine

Answer by Mrs.Prine at 12:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2011