Who else is FED UP with.... (girl scout cookie related)

the overly aggressive girl scout moms who pimp out those damned cookies EVERY WHERE

Both my girls were girl scouts and we did the door to door thing and the site sales.  I always told my girls to be polite, not to pressure, and to ALWAYS be respectful of the no.  We never had issue with the door to door sales, and would call the other brownies on the block and go as a group so as not to inundate the neighbours.  Each girl would take a turn selling her cookies.

But now that the girls get the cookies ahead of time I see moms having the kids sell at high school games, out side the schools at pick up, at parties, etc.  Im so discussed with the whole thing.

This is our last year of girl scouts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• My daughter is a GS. We don't get any cookies until after we place our orders. I never came across aggressive girls scouts before!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• holy heck. They just started this last year here in san diego. You pre-order the cookies... having never gone out. So when you go to the door to sell you have the actual boxes with you.

Im not the cookie mom so I dont know how the accounting works. I just know we get our cookies, sell them, and hand over the money all in about a months time. There is no giving cookies back so if they dont sell then WE personally buy them. They stress to only order what you think you can sell... for obvious reasons.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• These days it is all about the sales... when I was growing up, we were asked how to sell more, I stated have the younger/cuter kids do it, and was told that is morally wrong!!! Than here 20 yers later they praise a girl for doing what I stated to do and was put down for when I was a kid?????
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• well I have to disagree with you that looks (cuter) kids should be the ones to sell... I think that does send the wrong message.

I do agree that the older girls could find a better way... perhaps by joining forces with the younger girls and mentoring them on etiquette (I havent seen that stressed enough), politeness, etc.

I also find it HUGELY offensive when parents pimp the cookies at work... really.... just because I work with you I have to be harrased to buy cookies... isnt that the KIDS JOB?????

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• To be honest with the new way they are doing the cookie sales where they are outside of Walmart, in the mall has made me not buy them anymore. I was in gs growing up and we did the door to door sales and no was a no. They have gotten way to pushy for me.
    Lyndsey250

Answer by Lyndsey250 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Me coming from Germany i was expecting the door to door sales like you would see in the movies :) But coming here i see we have a better chance to get my husbands beloved gs lemon cookies on a trip to walmart or shopping center...i guess they figured people are more likely to carry money on them since they are going shopping compared to being at home...!?
    Davina85

Answer by Davina85 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I kind like that they are sold outside stores and through people at work instead of people coming to my door. I hate the door to door thing, (I am a sucker either way and always buy whatever anyone is selling) but I rather be bothered coming out of a store or at work than while I am at home.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I'm with Lyndsey250 on how she feels about it and I'm the same way!!
    Susanmomof

Answer by Susanmomof at 6:01 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It's suppose to be about the girls selling the cookies NOT THE MOMS seeing how much attention they can get! So that is why I now refuse to buy any and just flat out tell them NO if they are set up some place in public! They love to compete so they can have bragging rights to their so called other Mommy friends! I am happy that there are others that have picked up on this as well!!

shake hand

Susanmomof

Answer by Susanmomof at 6:22 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• We're on an Army Post so the Girl scouts are only selling at two locations and they are very sweet, so no I'm not sick of them. And today is their last day. But I can see how it would get annoying in the situation you're describing.

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2011