Is there anything out there that I can do that will increase my breast milk supply?

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 1:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfeed OFTEN, supply/demand rule in effect here. Drink lots of water. I would NOT advise to give formula at night so they sleep, that will do nothing to increase your supply, what sorry advice that was...
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• You can try eating Oatmeal, I have heard that works well. I know that you can buy Fenugreek capsules and that will FOR sure help boost your supply. Take 2-3 capsules 3 times a day. Also, you can buy Mothers milk tea. I wouldn't try everything all at once, that might be a little overload!! I know that the Fenugreek will work great so I'd start there!
    nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• i had the same problem! i tried exactlly what nat1387 ^ is talking about and it worked like a charm!
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Yes, but the first step is to determine if you actually have a supply problem. What makes you say that you need a boost?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• And yes, supplementing ANY feeds can cause lowered supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Nurse, nurse, nurse. Relax and stop over thinking it. If you are getting 6-8 wet diapers per 24 hours, you are fine. If your baby is acting especially hungry, most likely it's a growth spurt. It's fine, just keep nursing. If your breasts are now feeling "empty" or deflated, as long as you're still getting 6-8 wet diapers, you're fine. My breasts started feeling "empty" maybe around 3 or 4 months and we're still going strong at 18 months. Here's a good link on milk supply and what to do to increase it, if you truly have a problem.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#supply
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• TRY FENUGREEK PILLS...IS A HERB...ALS MOTERS MILK TEA....
    MaMaTreZZa

Answer by MaMaTreZZa at 12:03 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• You have to be 100% comfortable with your choice to bf. You can not produce bm if you are not relaxed so try not to stress and when feeding make sure you are comfortable. Drink plenty of water, the more you drink the less dehydrated your body is and the more water your body has to produce bm.

If you have a hard time relaxing you can drink a glass of wine or a beer. 1 a day is perfectly safe. If you have a breastpump. What I did was pump off all the left over milk after each feeding, and I got up in the middle of the night for the first 2 ro so months to pump even if my child did not wake up. Empty breast tells the body to produce more. After about 3 months you breasts will mature and producing milk is a lot easier. #1 solution is to relax #2 is drink plenty of fluids. I bf 2 babys so I know it will get easier. If you need someone to talk to send me a message.

Good luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Nurse! Most moms who think they have a supply problem actually do NOT. 6-8 dipe changes a day means supply is fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Try this awesome lactation cookie recipe!

shirl16

Answer by shirl16 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2011