Are yorkies supposed to have wet eyes like they are crying

I have a 4 month old and her eyes have been watery and runny. I have to rely on my dh for transportation and he won't take her to the vet unless it is serious.
So I need to know if this is normal or serious

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 1:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Pets

• Although runny eyes are common in some breeds it is not normal. It is a sign of allergies; either from food or something in the environment. If you are feeding a low quality food with corn, wheat, and/or soy in it, the first thing I suggest is switching to something better. Check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com for starters. They rate almost every brand/formula of dog food from 1 to 5 stars. If a change in food doesn't help after a few weeks, I'd take her to the vet to rule out envirnmental allergies.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I have a Chihuahua/Yorkie & her eyes do run sometimes- she gets that yucky crusty stuff in them- i just use a warm washcloth & get it out- but, it is not non-stop; maybe, yours has a Cold or allergies- if it doesn't clear up in a day or two i would take her to get checked- hope she feels better soon:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 2:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• It is common for this breed, but it can be a sign for allergies, or hair that has gotten into the eyes, and diet can also play a factor. Some dogs also seem to have runny eyes based on breeding. If it is stinky or dark, it might be an infection. Otherwise I agree with daisyb, use a warm washcloth everyday, perhaps trim her bangs so she can't get hair in her eyes as possible first steps. And switch to a high quality diet, if you haven't already. If it doesn't clear up, I would check with a vet.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:30 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Yorkies require daily eye cleaning. I have poodles and they do too. If she has tear stain you can buy tear away at pet shops. i dont know if walmart carries it or not. some need it more than others. I dont think you have anything to worry about, but since you are with her you judge it and see if she rubs at them. I love yorkies. they are so tiny and cute.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 10:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I think it is pretty common for that breed.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 11:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2011