My 14 month old son hits me a lot....

I don't want to slap his hands but I dont know what else to do I do not like spanking, time outs don't do much for him. and its like its only me. Daddy,grandparents, friends, others kids...othing jsut mommy. and I think I'm most gentle on him and soothing but in public he knows hes only going to get told no no and put in the stroller...he cries but he keeps doing this.. I hear people wisper once they hear the smack omg that little boy just back handed his mom and she didnt do anything. He also has been kicking a lot when he doesnt want to sit still. I mean hes a sweet happy kid but this temper worries me. can this be a trait from his bio. father?

mocamomma22

Asked by mocamomma22 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when he hits, tell him no and tell him that is bad and that mommy doesnt hit him...........but keep in mind, they go through phases!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I know I dont want to get mad at him I dont think he understands...thats why I have tokeep telling him a million times lol. Do they know yet??? It seems like he does but I dont think he remembers its bad at other times.
    mocamomma22

Answer by mocamomma22 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• When you tell him no, be firm so he doesn't think that it's a game. Be sure to use a stern looking face. Simply telling him "no, no, don't hit mommy" with a sweet, soft voice will NOT convey the severity of his actions.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I am all for spanking, but in this case I think that would be teaching him to do what he is doing. I think if you can get on his level and look him straight in the face and let him know that it hurts mommie for him to do that, then that will work. You may have to do it several times but it will click one day. Just be patient with him. You're doing good momma!
    jeng1980

Answer by jeng1980 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• let me know if you find a solution my 2 yr old does this alot. just swings even in his sleep.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 6:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My son is 16 months old and started doing this...at first i swatted his hand and told him no no then he wanted to swat me back, I got creative one day and thought "well instead of telling him what I don't want him to do why dont i tell him what i want him to do." so I took his hands and rubbed my face and said "love mommy...you are so sweet baby, mommy loves you!" and i also did it to his face and said see that feels good doesnt it. since then he doesnt hit me. Now dont get me wrong, he gets caught up in the moment sometimes and swats me but i just do it all over again. That has been the only thing that worked for me....
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 6:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• It is so good to hear another mom in the same boat! My son is 14 months also. He hates being told no or having things taken away. When he gets mad he slaps or hits at my face. I have been telling my husband that I am worried he has anger built up because he feels controlled. The more stories I hear like yours, the more I think it is just a phase. Im sure when your son can communicate better he wont be so frustrated. Good luck. :)
    JMommabear

Answer by JMommabear at 7:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You have to be stern with him and tell him not to hit you because it hurts. You are not his friend, you are his mother and he needs to learn that you are serious and not playing a game. He is probably not doing this to anyone else because he knows they are serious by the sound of their voices.
    colliope

Answer by colliope at 7:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I solved this with the little bug similar to aidengrant. When she swatted I would grab her hand and stroke my cheek with it and say gentle touches . . .baby, gentle touches. If she would pull her hand back I would say no, with a lifted finger. (this part semi-backfired because at fiften months, she points at me and says no, lol)
    The phase lasted about two hours with this approach
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• my toddler started this at about 13 months. she promptly got removed from everyone. she would spend 5-10 minutes in her crib, or we would go to the car and i would put her in the car seat. when she realized hitting meant nobody would play with her, she stopped.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2008