How do you keep your bills organized?

Sometimes my dh pays the bills and sometimes I do and some how one of us forget to log it in then none of us is sure who got paid and who didn't but by then we are getting a nasty letter...ugh! Help!
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm old school. I just use one of the big desk calendars that has plenty of writing space and I log on it whenever something is due, how much it is, and then log when I pay it and how much I paid on the dates that I do those things. And I use a big clip to hold the bills onto it, just the bill not the envelopes and all the other crap that comes with them since I pay most everything online. 

SweetSprinkles

Answer by SweetSprinkles at 2:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• ~*Bill Box*~ and organize them by when they are due...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• My husband is in charge of the finances and I am in charge of paying all the bills.

I keep a calendar of all bills on Outlook to remind me when they are due.

We have a prepaid debit card for all the bill money to go on (bills only).

I go online and pay every bill I can from the one that is due first and so on (even partial pay).

I get an email confirmation and delete the one I pay from my Outlook.

If you have a bank, you will have the option of "bill pay" for free.

Although it works pretty much the same.
    Dreamlander

Answer by Dreamlander at 2:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I put a reminder on my phone and try to get all set up on the first days of the month since that is when I get paid
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 2:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• pay online. That way you can just look and see that it has been done and when.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Well, I guess I'm really old school. My Mother was a bookkeeper for 40 yrs. She is who taught me.I have a financial accounts book. At the top of the page I put the month and year. Down the left column is every monthly bill from mortgage to what gets set aside each month to pay insuance premiums. I know which bills get paid out of which payday bades on due dates. When I pay bill I sit down with the bill statements, accounts book, checkbook and computer. Every time I pay a bill whether online or writing a check I log it in the accounts book, I also write on the bill statement the date I paid it the amount and the check number. If I paid it online I write the date I set up pymt, the amount. The TBP(to be paid) date and then the confirmation number. Then stements get filed in the file cabinet. At any given time we know exactly what has, and has not been paid by looking at the accounts book.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• i pay all the bills and im always checking. but i have a calender where everything is written down. i just also started organizing everything in excel.
    bouncingsoul

Answer by bouncingsoul at 3:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• When they come in, they go in an organizer hung in my family room. Every Friday I take them out and pay them; I always pay on line, it keeps track of the last time you paid the bill and the amount. Most banks offer this for free and you save a stamp as well!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I pay all the bills, and I keep them all in one spot by the notebook I write every purchase/payment in. When I pay them, I write the check number, date I paid it, and the amount on the envelope and put them in an accordion file folder. Easy peasy. =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 5:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• When you pay them, don't you log them in your checkbook register? Or can't you look them up online?

I think it makes sense for one person to be in charge of paying all the bills. I pay the bill online, write it in the checkbook register, and then I file the paper in an accordian file. At the end of the year, I take all of them out and staple them together by type of bill (electric, water, etc.). Then it goes in a big envelope with our tax stuff for that year.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 6:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2011