Any dog tips??

So me and my husband got a pointer/lab mix today. She is so good with my son she is about 9weeks old and she has been fixed. Its been a long time since i have had a dog. Is there any tricks that you have learned?? Like best shampoo, best way to keep fleas off, anything would be nice

his88angel

Asked by his88angel at 2:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Pets

• Advantage to keep fleas away... basiclly it causes the fleas to not be able to breed, so they die out?!?! I use it and can take my pets outside, and hopefully if enough people in the neighborhood use it too (pass it around if need be) than all people can be flea free!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I would go to "The Dog Whisperer" site. There should be some really good tips and advice found there. There is also a dog lovers site on Cafe mom. For fleas and ticks, Frontline is a great product. As far as shampoos, the milder the better. At this age, she will want to chew. Get a variety of rawhide chews and some stuffed animals to run with, carry and more than likely tear apart. :-) Sometimes an old sock tied in a knot is a great tug-of-war and play toy.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Training as soon as they are old enough. Group lessons are best because they also offer socialization.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• You can begin training right now. Pointers can sometimes be anxious with strangers and they do require more socialization than some other breeds. They also tend to go through a destructive stage- quite big chewers- when they are young, so use a lot of supervision and the crate. Take your puppy to puppy class. First thing I teach my pups is Come, Down and Play Retrieves

Frontline is one of the safest, effective flea preventatives.

The best shampoo for any dog that you can buy in the stores is called snowy coat, it is made by Lambert Kay and it is dark blue. They have a lot of puppy shampoos with fun scents like baby powder, but they do not work as well in my opinion.

Use a crate to help you housetrain your puppy. I like the life stages cages, again found in petstores because they have a divider so the cage can "grow" with the dog's growth.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Feed a HIGH quality dog food or homecooked/raw. None of the brands that can be found at Walmart or the grocery store are any good. Check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com for some ratings.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I would take the dog to the vet first. and discuss for the region what the best flea and tick stuff is. I have moved several times and seems to be that vets reccomend different stuff for that region because ticks like the stuff that they have become use to. Also heartgaurd or something of the sort. I like oatmeal shampoo. Oh and can't forget the shots. at 9 weeks they could already have second round of shots.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Be Careful with Flea Treatments as well. Make sure you can use them on pups that are young.

Everyone else has already said mostly everything.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:05 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• see what your worming schedule for your area should be and actually shots are at 6-8, 10-12,14-16 so 9 wks is a bit to soon for that second shot. i like to have them evenly spaced and not to early or late to prevent unprotected gaps.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Putting salt on hard wood floors near the door enterance is a secret to keeping fleas away along with (when puppy is old enough) mixing in a little garlic with wet food. That helps repell mosquitos (which can cause heart worms) and fleas too!
    Those are my little trivia secrets that I've learned!
    But I still would go to the vet and use Frontline or something of that nature.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2011