How old are dogs when they are spayed or neutered?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 2:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Pets

• Some vets are recommending as early as 4 months, but I feel that is too early. Normally dogs are 5-6 months, but I personally try to wait until my dogs are at least one year. S

Some research indicates that the hormones may be important for development and health of the dog and that makes sense to me. Of course there are some animals that mature faster than others and develop behaviors or have a temperament that might influence you to neuter them earlier than later. And if the longer you wait to neuter your pet, the more diligent you do need to be with the supervision, since they are often able to reproduce quite early.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• 6 months is the recommended age around here. Before they his maturity but old enough to handle anesthesia a little better.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Most vets I have talked to base it off of their weight and breed. The lighter the dog the later they do it, so the smaller breeds tend to be fixed around six months give or take.
    My dog was fixed at 2 1/2 months! (NOT MY CHOICE!!!) I got him from a shady rescue and he ended up having some problems that he grew out of.
    Just give your vet a call, they will get your dog/puppy in for the check up, shots/worming and discus when the proper time for your dog to be fixed will be.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 3:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• My female was spayed at 6 months and my male was neutered at 8 months. They are both Shelties. If I ever get another dog, I will wait until it is atleast 1 year old for the same reasons stated above. As long as someone can be a responsible pet owner, I think it is best to wait until the dog is fully grown.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Typically, vets do it at 6 months but many vets are doing it as early as 2 months of age (shelters mostly). I normally have my pets done at about 4 months of age.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I would wait until they were 6 months.I like to get the female before she has her 1st heat and my males before they start feeling their cherrios.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 4:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2011