Do fleas bite people?

Hi! I have 2 cats, whom both have fleas. We have been fighting them for many many months, doing all except bombing our home. I have been seeing less and less throughout our home, and actually have not seen one except on my cats in several weeks. The last few days, I have been waking up with what at first I thought was a rash, but I don't think so. Now that I look at them, it looks like little bites all over my arms and hands, and feet. They are itchy and scabbing over. I am 18 weeks pregnant, and I really hope this isn't going to affect the baby. What are your thoughts??

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 2:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Health

• probly fleas
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• No, won't hurt the baby. But those ARE flea bites. You should use teatree oil on them. stings, but helps them heal very quickly.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• yes fleas can bite people. they are itchy little red spots usually on the feet and legs but if they are on your furniture they can be anywhere on your body. I recommend you speak to your vet about using something topical on the pets for fleas like advantage or Frontline. Also there is a product you may be able to get get at your vet called Flea Busters that is fabulous for helping control the flea population in conjunction with the topical flea preventative.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• yes cat fleas to bite as they drink blood
    the trick is you need to treat both the cats and your home got to the vets get s spot on that last a month for you cat then boom your home a few days later
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 2:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• While I don't think it will effect your baby it certainly can be flea bites.....Fleas are very difficult to get rid of. I would consider taking them to the vet, getting a dose of advantage on the cats and ask if they can keep the cats there for a few hours to bomb the house. It was what me and my ex did several years ago once a stray we brought in infested the house and our other cats.

There are some all natural powders you can try on the carpets, furniture, mattresses and such you can use as well, for example baking soda with lavender essential oil can work at killing fleas, larvae and eggs. I would wash all bedding and clothes in hot water as well
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• FYI- have SOMEONE ELSE PUT THE FLEA MEDICATION ON. even in the 3rd trimester, it can cause fetal damage... and leave the kitties completely alone for at least 24 hours after it is applied.
    DO NOT use flea treatments in the home if you are the one applying them. Make someone else do it. They contain neurotoxins which kill the fleas, and prevent the unhatched ones from reproducing. It will also cause neurological damage to your fetus.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Advantage for fleas... and YES they bite people!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• :) thanks we do use advantage, and I have NO idea how they got them. They have both been indoor cats since we go them, one has never been outside. They didn't have fleas before, and have not been outside! weird.
    Tarrar

Comment by Tarrar (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• We had a horrible flea problem that started last summer and just didn't seem to quit. We put Frontline on our pets every 4 weeks year around and that didn't even hold them back. I went to our vet begging for help. He suggested giving Frontline every 3 weeks for a couple of months and using Knockout ES on our carpet and furniture on the second three week treatment (not needed underneath anything as fleas do not nest in dark places). One month later, we no longer have fleas....at least none that we've seen and we flea comb our pets a few times a week to make sure we are free of them.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Oh...and I've been bitten by fleas. I know it's them because I'll feel a sharp stabbing pain, look in the area and there will be a flea. But, I never feel itching afterward and I never saw red marks from where I had been bitten.....so I wouldn't be convinced that these marks on you are flea bites. Have you considered bed bugs?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:13 PM on Feb. 12, 2011